Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tatiana's tomatobase tells us that the same lady who brought the seed saving world the "Nebraska Wedding" variety, also found the Monster.

Creative naming? She was in Minnesota.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, the tiny bit of goggling i did on that tomato told me that it is either: regular OR potato leaved, not quite sure, orange, pink OR yellow, not quite sure...and variously called Flathead Monster, Flathead Indian 53, OR Orange Orangutan. Very confusing, but i'm pretty sure it wasnt originated around here. :)

Well, that is a motorcycle reference! Must have been grown by a Master mechanic-gardener-biker. Or something.

BeanieMan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Those are Insuk's Wang Kong runner beans :)

BeanieMan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Flathead Monster is a strain from the personal collection of a gentleman referred to as Spudleaf Willie (Bill Malin) known for his love of spud (or potato) leaf tomatoes. Spudakee is just one of many fine maters he has come up with.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@solucky I agree that the heirlooms may not have the looks but boy do they have the flavor. We grew Black Krim and 3 other heirlooms last summer. The Krims split awful and we lost a lot due to bad weather conditions. But they sure tasted good. We decided that the Mortgage Lifers where or favorites.
I am going to put Mortgage Lifter on my next year's list. Are you growing them again this year?

Latest posts