Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Yep I checked it yesterday and the ground was still good and damp, but this wind will certainly dry it up quick. I'm going to give them a good drink this evening when I get home.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
just think next year your going to have fresh asparagus for dinner..... shouldn't be to long for here till they start sprouting.....

how are all your gardens doing?

Last edited:

Its been to wet to do anything lately, did run the disk through the corn field again yesterday. Still picking up rocks and sticks, this land was one big cut-over when I bought it, 3 years ago all this was tree's and stumps. I'm starting my tomatoes and peppers this week, a lot going on here lately, trying to get a power line ran into this farm, get a barn built, its been one big head ache.

Man what a week....FINALLY got around to starting my tomatoes', Bell peppers, Jalapenos, Kale, Banana peppers, Broccoli, an beets. Guess what, Kales already poking through @ the 5 day mark.

Got home from work Thursday, new transformers installed at the farm, hopefully the over head crew will get the pole up and then I'll be starting my 30'x30'x10' building. I'd love to have that done before I start putting things In the ground.

Tomatoes' (Cherokee purple, Cherokee green, brandy wine, better boy, Husky cherry red)
IMG_0081.JPG

Bell peppers, banana peppers, Kale, beets, Jalapenos, broccoli
IMG_0082.JPG

Kale poking through....
IMG_0103.JPG

My new transformer, been waiting since before new years for this.
IMG_0086.JPG

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you dip your used trays in bleach water before using to lessen the chance of damping off? My trays haven't been used for over two years, just sitting in a garage, so wondering if I need to do that with them.

Update:

All but 4 tomato seeds I planted sprouted. I re-planted those 4. Red Russian Kale is up along with some broccoli, and beets.

Tomato's
IMG_0124.JPG

Kale (Vates)
IMG_0125.JPG

Kale (Red Russian)
IMG_0126.JPG

Beets poking through....
IMG_0127.JPG

Too wet around here to do anything In the big garden. I was poking around in the asparagus bed, pulling a few weeds that had popped up, and WHAT, a few spears are starting to show up. I was waiting to see this so I could put a little more top soil in this bed, and then mulch it. Question, I plan to use a flat soaker hose in this bed, would it be better to lay the hose then mulch over it, or lay it on top of the mulch.

Also, Beets are taking off, banana peppers are up, Bell peppers are trying, but they are sloooow. Tomato's are putting on their 3rd and 4th leaves. If the weather will ever get right around here they should be ready to go In the ground in a couple of weeks.

Broke the Tiller out, haven't used it in a couple years but the way I'm planting my tomato's and peppers this year, I wont be able to get the tractor In and around them so I pulled it out the barn, does anybody else hate ethanol gas? Spent the better part of the evening cleaning the carb, put some good gas in it with a shot of Sea Foam, she purrs like a kitten.

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

MY GARDENING BUDDY!
IMG_0149.JPG

Beets
IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time to put about 6” of soil as for water personally I just hand water them thoroughly deep you might throw some 10-10-10 in not much or you might burn those tender roots..... looking good

Latest posts