Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

@Lickbranchfarm question where did you purchase these gilmore 5/8 hose ends at...? looking for that exact type...

@majorcatfish Harbor freight, like a buck 50. I think I have 40$ tied up in everything.

You were right Major, I started irrigating the asparagus bed a little more and these things have exploded! I have like 10-12 shoots and 2 are up to my waist already. Plan to let them all go this year and wait till next year to harvest any.

Everything that went In the ground 2 weeks ago got bit hard with the last frost we got. So I took the tiller to it, and I'll direct sow the Kale In the garden this go around. My tomatoes and peppers are ready to go in, I need to let them harden off another couple days. Going to start my cucumbers and Zucchini this week, plus get both yellow and white corn planted along with my Okra. hopefully before the end of the month, everything will be In the ground, including my purple hull peas and Blue lake bush beans.

On a different note....My concrete for my new 30'x30' barn got poured on Wednesday, guy said they should have the barn up in 2 weeks.

Me and my partner in crime got some work done on the chicken coop, he's ready to feed the chickens and the rabbits Lol. He's good help, pays attention, and loves a drill.

IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very beautiful set up. How many chickens are you planning on having?

Very beautiful set up. How many chickens are you planning on having?

Thank you,
I'd like at least 2 dozen layers, haven't made up my mind yet what kind. I'm partial to Rhode Island Reds, my son likes Buff Orpingtons. We have had both, I think the buffs are a more consistent layer, but some of the reds I have had Layed bigger brown eggs for some reason.
The coop will have 2 runs, one for layers, the other side will be for Cornish cross meat birds. It wont be utilized but a few times a year, and hopefully only 12 weeks at a time. My son and I think between 3 households if we process 100 birds a year that will be plenty, so 50 in the spring, 50 in the fall.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your barn and coop beginnings are looking good. I'm sure most of the credit goes to your on-site advisor.
;)

Those are special times you and your grandson are having. Being together is time well invested.:)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got home yesterday, to wet to do anything in the big garden so, I turned the raised bed one more time and put the asparagus In the ground. These were suppose to be 2 year old roots, and they were every bit of that. Spaced them 18"-20" apart. managed to get 14 in this bed. Once they pop out the ground, I'll add a little more soil, then mulch and add drip irrigation. I shouldn't have to worry about watering this week.

View attachment 24789
View attachment 24790
That soil looks like perfection..

Latest posts