Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't have any kinks in your flat soaker hose when you lay it down. They are tricky to get down right; I discover some new cuss words in my vocabulary each year when I have to install mine. Once the mulch is put over it, it will be harder to identify and correct the kink. And you won't know it's there till you see wilted plants.

Tomatoes are doing great! Bell peppers finally decided to show up to the party. Banana peppers doing good, Both Red and Vates Kale is doing good, might have to re-pot these soon. Got the new area turned over good with the tiller, then it rained so now it will be a few days before I can get back In there. I think it will do great, I saw a lot of worms rolling up when I was tilling it.

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Caught up on gardening chores for now, me and my side kick started on what will be our new chicken coop. First official pole cemented in the ground yesterday. Man I had to pick a spot with nothing but clay. These 6x6 post are 4' long and 24" of it is in the ground. This is 1 of 6 for the corner and side post for the foundation.

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know I could transplant beets (or turnips). They take tooo long to root and grow that winter comes before I know it.

you can plant them early enough and stagger plant them if you really like them. i've never transplanted beets. the leaves are pretty easily broken. instead i tend to plant a little extra and thin out (i like eating the beet leaves). turnips i grow a few here or there all season. don't eat too many of them, but use them more for cover cropping and worm food when i chop them back and/or bury them. i like the yellow flowers they have the 2nd season and free seeds scattered around. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know I could transplant beets (or turnips). They take tooo long to root and grow that winter comes before I know it.
Isn't buying beets in 6-packs and planting in the ground, transplanting? I've grown them from 6-packs but prefer growing them from seed since they are so easy.

Mary

Got some things done past couple days. Got the peppers, Jalapeno's, broccoli, Kale, and Beets re-potted, they are looking really good. I hit the peppers with a little miracle grow last week, and a tiny shot of Epsom salt a couple days ago. Tomatoes are doing ok, I took some of the bigger ones out last week and let them get some sun, temps were In the 70's I think they might have gotten a little to much too quick. My partner In crime and I worked on the asparagus irrigation and mulching, it turned out great, even have a sprout sticking through the mulch. We also worked on the tomato/pepper garden. I ran the tiller, he moved dirt and worms with the heavy equipment Lol.
IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score