Lickbranchfarms 2019 garden thread

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_wowspring[1].gif
THAT is a HUGE space!!!!!

Well, very busy weekend. Friday morning, me and young fartknocker constructed the brooder for the very first forms of livestock on the farm. Didn't take much, built it out of a shipping crate from work. Picked up 12 Rhode island red pullets, I am happy to report as of 5:30 this morning, all are doing well.

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

We also finished the seed starting rack. Throwed this together with some scrap's I had laying around. Bought the lights, 1 sheet of plywood, and a couple 2x4's. I think it will serve the purpose for a while. The trays are sitting on heat mats that were rolled up, they didn't want to sit flat, when I get some dirt In the trays that should help level everything out. I forgot to get light bulbs so Im picking those up today along with a bag of seed starter, and hoping to start my cabbage, broccoli, and beets this afternoon. I should be getting the rest of my seed's in this week. I'm probably going to have to load up the second shelve here pretty soon.

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That brooder looks perfect to me. Well-ventilated, heat at one end but they can go to the far end to cool off if they need to, and that heat lamp can't fall. It's one of my personal rants but I think most heat lamp fires are caused by people depending on that clamp that comes with them instead of fixing it so they can't fall. I always hung mine with wire.

My question on the seed rack is are you going to have enough room between shelves for the plants to grow without getting into the lights? I had to redo mine because of that. In zone 8 you should be able to get those cool weather plants outside really soon. In Arkansas on the border of zones 6/7 I'd direct sow my beets in the garden instead of stating them indoors about now. If you can you might want to think about that and save a step.

Yep, well actually I was planning on alternating from top shelve to bottom as the plants got bigger, I still have to put the lights on that shelve, but I hope they grow fast enough I can move them from top shelve to garden, your right I don't have lot of time.
I would skip starting my beets In the tray, but if I try to direct sow in the garden, they'll just rot, its way too wet. I got a funny feeling once this next cold snap comes through, spring is going to bust loose in a big way around here. Bradford pears are blooming, peach trees already have blooms, redbuds have had blooms for a couple weeks. I'd like to be able to harden them off and put them in the dirt.

Got 1 tray filed will soil and started the Sun King hybrid Broccoli, Earliana cabbage, and Detroit dark red Beets last night. Once my seed order arrives (Hopefully this week), I can start my Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage, and Bolder Beets. I hope by the end of the week to have all of my tomatoes and peppers started. Then all that's left are cantaloupes, yellow squash, Zucchini, cucumbers, and watermelons. I'll direct sow the Corn and Okra. We have night temps in the 20's a couple of days but after that it looks like it will get more pleasant, and dryer.

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

Latest posts