Lickbranchfarms 2019 garden thread

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Broccoli, cabbage and Lettuce I planted early this week is sprouting. I went In the barn this morning to check on the chicks, glanced under all the domes, there's a little green in all of them. That always gets me pumped, ready to plant everything! Still waiting on my seed order, tracking # says delivery on Friday, Majors seeds are in the mail, looking forward to those also. This is shaping up to be the biggest garden I've had to date.

Got an e-mail from the Ag extension, first market meeting is next week. Market opening is late April, but it gives everyone a heads up on any regulation changes, and new market times and locations. We have been collecting bags and crates, table cloths, different table arrangements. We're trying to use the same Logo on everything, had these little stickers made to put on the bags and boxes. My wife found this one, I thought it looked like my little Farmall Lol.

View attachment 30893

I like the sticker! That is simple, but gets the message across that y'all are raising quality vegetables

That's a perfect sticker. :)

it's a good thing to have, but if you are going to have stickers try to make them out of things that can be recycled with the produce if you are actually going to stick them on it. i really despise those plastic stickers they are putting on all the fruits these days. it means i have to take them off before putting the peels/cores in the worm bins (or eating them).

so many stickers may be printed on paper that is also plastic coated. :(

when i went to the seed swap i printed out some quick mini contact cards with my name, web-site and e-mail address in case anyone wanted to look things up. next time i'll try to be a bit more fancy and come up with an image based upon the color board i've been using. i just have to remember to do it... i think color prints at the library are 25-50 cents a page. i can spring a few bucks for a few hundred simple cards that way... it worked out well enough.

what i wanted to avoid was printing out labels for each and every item/bean i was displaying.

next year i'll do numbered items. that will be ok as then i can organise the larger containers in order and also the smaller display containers on the table...

don't mind me, i'm just thinking aloud. :)

Harbor freight was having a tent sale this weekend, My son was looking for a new roll around tool box and they had them advertised as on sale, so we went down and took a look at what they had. I ended up buying a new motor for my Tiller. The old Briggs had seen its better days, plowed a many a row with this thing. Last year it really started smoking, figured the rings were bad. Anyway, this engine was a direct bolt on, no alterations needed, and started on the 2nd pull. All for a grand total of $99.00 bucks. We had it bolted on in an hour, now if it will dry out enough for me to use it.

One tired old Briggs and Stratton.....
IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

My helper operated it and he approves Lol
IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

Everything I started last week is up and doing well. Cabbage is trying to get a little leggy on me, I lowered the lights a touch and will start turning off the lights at night and see if that will help. Will be starting all my tomato's this week....

Cherokee purple
Brandywine
Phoenix
Grande Roma
Mariana
Black cherry

Also all my peppers....

California Wonder Bell
Yankee bell
Sweet Banana
Pepperoncini
Big guy hybrid Jalapeno
Highlander

Im also going to start my sweet potato slips this week, never done this before. It should be interesting.

Broccoli, cabbage and Beets....
IMG_1772.JPG

Lettuce...
IMG_1773.JPG

Kale....
IMG_1774.JPG

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used those predator motors a couple times at work to replace blown motors on small equipment. What kind of pepperoncinis are you growing? Here we have been growing Golden Greek they have been doing the best for our climate.

I have used those predator motors a couple times at work to replace blown motors on small equipment. What kind of pepperoncinis are you growing? Here we have been growing Golden Greek they have been doing the best for our climate.

They are Golden Greek, my wife loves them. I figure between the Big boy Jalapeno's and Majors Highlander peppers, these should fit right in.. Lol

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I, or should I say the company where I was in charge of Purchasing, was the second largest buyer of Golden Greek Pepperoncini's in the US. Papa Johns was the largest. My spec was double washed after brining. Only Greek pepperoncini's were allowed in our restaurants

Latest posts