the 900 series .......
Color Rendering Index 98 Ra8
Color Code TL950
Temperature 5000 K
Color Description 950 Daylight Color
Initial Lumens 2000 Lm
Initial Lumens 1855 Lm
Design Mean Lumens 1860 Lm

the closer you can get to natural day light the better your seedlings are going to perform<less leggy>
it's <in my opinion> not to use..warm white/cool white bulbs there great for office workers not good for starting plants.

most electrical supply houses will carry the 900 series in dx <daylight> with a cri of around 90 and their in our price range... then there are the on-line bulb stores that carry and claim to have high cri numbers but your going to pay out the butt for them..

then theres plant grow bulbs... okay their good for if you have house plants... tried them years ago and ended up with leggy seedling...

once you figure out which bulb is going to work best for you, do recommend purchasing diamond mylar and line the out walls of your germination table which in turn will redirect the light that is being absorbed by the wood back towards the seedlings....if it's good for the dope growers tents, it's better for the seedlings your starting...have it on all my walls on the table..yes i have seen a better results.

all we want is to get our seedlings off to the best healthiest start possible before we start hardening them off, then planting them...

also do recommend going with a highbay fixture and not shop lights......

as for using led lighting im the wrong person to ask for growing, for industrial usage "atlas lighting" is the best.
they have a 200k hour warranty while others only have 50k-70k...

everything i have said is my own opinion, everyone has their own way of starting, if it works ,it works.....

Good stuff Major, Im looking for some more bulbs today for the fixtures that I have for now. Hopefully by starting time next year, I will have a completely different set-up. I will have a Green house one day, might not be by this time next year, but I've been looking at options and I'm thinking i can do a 16'x20' and do my starts and over winter some greens all in the same green house.

Got some Beets started Tuesday night after me and dynamite worked on the Coop. I planted Boldor, and Early wonder tall top. I already have some Detroit dark reds under the lights. Im going to the farm supply friday and getting my squash-Zucchini-corn-peas and butter bean seeds

Got a lot done past couple of days. Got all of the garden plots tilled and even got a new area disked and ready to lay rows in. I want to use this area for all the melons, escorial, diplomats (thanks major) and watermelons. I started more seeds in trays, squash, zucchini, buttercup winter squash, 2 different cucumbers and 2 different pumpkins,

Just about ready to start laying rows. I have been hardening off my cabbage and one tray of tomatoes, wont be long and everything else will be coming up. Most of the peppers are up, i planted plenty to make sure i got at least 10 good plants per variety. This is shaping up to be one of the largest gardens I have ever had. We have some 80 degree weather coming later this week, that should help to dry things up just a tad. Oh yea, i spotted one lonely onion coming up already, hope the rest show up this week.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

And here's a short video I did Friday when i had a chance to get the tractor in the field.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
also do recommend going with a highbay fixture and not shop lights......
Ditto. Switched from shop lights to T8 high bay fixtures, it made a world of difference. Even onion seedlings don't get leggy. The bulbs I went with are 6500K, and produce stocky transplants that need little hardening off... but I get a little leaf burn sometimes. I've thought about eventually replacing half of the bulbs with 5000K, the next time I change bulbs.

Latest posts