"LIMONCELLO" & other Liqueurs, Cordials etc.

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have never tried to make anything like this but this drink sounds WONDERFUL!!!! I might have to give it a try!!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LIMONCELLO SMACKDOWN BEGINS!!!!:celebrate

I am short a few lemons and read on my cooking board that the rind from a nice fragrant lime makes this go from good to fantastic (so I can not start this adventure until tomorrow)

so with my usual recipe I will add this and see where it takes me :love

here is what I have done and actually got the recipe (then changed it to suit my love of lemon flavor and added more rind than it called for) off a really pretty linen tea towel (it just was a limoncello recipe on a tea towel with lemons all around it I could not believe my luck I love stuff like that!) I found at a yard sale many many moons ago for a quarter!

a fifth of 100 proof vodka and minced rinds off of 9 lemons (the lime mentioned above)
then after sitting for four weeks I strain it and add 1/3 simple syrup

I have not checked out the recipes above but really this is a simple thing to make

and you do not have to be exact in my opinion it is the quality of the lemon rind that makes or breaks this recipe!

are you ready for good ..make some home made fruit syrups and have some cello cocktails :) strawberry syrup and cello a little spritz of soda water a squeeze of fresh lemon over ice ..wow outstanding! :thumbsup

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight :frow

I have changed the name of this topic to include other liqueurs & cordials -- it seemed the easiest thing to do as I wanted to give you the recipe for green walnut liqueur. I got my recipe years ago but it's buried in my barn amongst all my cookery books (never unpacked from when I moved in)! I found this one last Christmas when I had flu -- I was actually drinking some I had found in the back of a cupboard!

I think this recipe is good because he goes into such detail & even shows a photo of what state the walnut should be.

Be careful when making this as you need to wear old clothes & gloves because walnuts stain permernantly.......!! I wrecked a very expensive shirt making my batch.

Oh! one more thing, I used brandy to make mine & I kept some of it for 10 years. It was good after a year & magnificent after 10.

http://www.williamrubel.com/alcohol/vin-de-noix

I found this recipe through this blog which is one of my absolute favourites --- it arrives via my inbox most days & I settle down to read it with relish. You will find their comments if you track down a bit.

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?cat=7

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

I was just looking up a veggie recipe on an Italian blog when my eye caught the word 'nocino' in a list on the side.......Hmmm! I don't speak Italian but I have learnt over the years of working there to find my way around a menu etc!! So I knew this would be walnut liqueur! :celebrate Here it is, an Italian version plus other variations:-

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2008/06/nocino-nocillo.html

:rose Hattie :rose

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting!!!

I zested 2 limes last night and put my thin, precious tasty peels in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. As I get more limes, I will add to the collection until I get enough to justify the purchase of some vodka :D

My recipe will also be sugar-free. I haven't decided on what to make my simple syrup with, but I am thinking erythritol will work the best.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Interesting!!!

I zested 2 limes last night and put my thin, precious tasty peels in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. As I get more limes, I will add to the collection until I get enough to justify the purchase of some vodka :D

My recipe will also be sugar-free. I haven't decided on what to make my simple syrup with, but I am thinking erythritol will work the best.
I have done this sugar free in the past and just made the infused vodka then when serving diluted it at the moment and added some sweetener of choice ..it came out good ..not fantastic but quite good ...so if you come up with fantastic I will be interested in hearing :)

the nice thing about how this translates to sugar free as opposed to other cordials is that it is a thin drink so you do not need the thickening of sugar to get it right ...it is really infused vodka ..I use very very little sugar in mine just enough to round the flavor out ..the best limoncello I have ever had was quite dry ...you only have the flavor of the lemon oil (sounds like youar emaking Lime cello instead of lemon?) you can just dry the peels if you want to the grind them up to use when you are ready as well you want lots of surface area on the peels to extract all the flavor!

I think I mentioned above I use the peel of 9 lemons and 1 lime

I have heard and read about grapefruit, tangerine, lime, grapefruit, pomello ...any citrus peel can make a great cello

I am going to make a strawberry rhubarb cordial from my dear friend he adores rhubarb and I thought it would be a nice gift for him this year
I plan to cook the rhubarb and a few strawberries together first as I have had horrid luck with strawberry cordial made from raw strawberries ...anyone ever try this? advice?

the plan is to cook them first and add to the vodka ..leave for a few months strain and sweeten to taste with simple syrup
I imagine no matter what it will be thick

every year I make a cranberry cordial when the local cranberries are harvested ..perfect for the winter holidays

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL it is not even 8am and I am posting about booze!!!!! well so what huh it is after 3pm elsewhere in the world

I just strained and added the sugar syrup to my lemon and lime cello's and OMG the lime is out freaking standing!!! the lemon pales in comparison but they need a few more weeks of sitting before they are perfectly melded in flavors so I wil reserve comment until then but I am at this moment thrilled with lime and very happy with the lemon as well it tastes like a good classic limoncello ...but the lime ..again ..wow ...I will let you know when they are to the actual finish point how things are going

has anyone else got some "in process"

yesterday I visited my "secret" walnut trees (they are on an army base here and no one knows they exist or they are just not interested in ever picking them so I consider them mine!) and picked enough green walnuts to make some Nocino ..put them in the vodka yesterday and today I have the most interesting jar of stuff I have ever seen ..

a freind of mine has this blog and I just noticed he had made some as well .. so talk about great minds! with Hattie, myself and my curious kumquat friend there are some nuts a brewing :) LOL I like how that sounded

anyway his jar looks exactly like my jar except I think I have more and smaller walnuts so the color of mine is a bit darker right now
check it out ..he does some fun stuff and I love to follow this blog!
http://blogquat.blogspot.com/

Hattie is this how yours is looking as well? it is a deep mossy green hovering above the walnuts and then fades to a lighter green and I just love the colors!!! the smell is amazing I have to say I am so sad I did not discover this earlier

I love to eat green almonds raw with salt ..and just took a bite of a green walnut the only thing I can say is DON"T omg it was so acrid I felt like the inside of my mouth was peeling off :p but the fragrance was outstanding so I know the cordial will be as well vodka does not take on acrid as I have learned form other cordial making experiments...I am going to bottle this in nice bottles and give it as Christmas gifts for sure

I wonder if you could do a green hazel nut Liqueur? I have a bush/tree over the chicken yard that I have not checked yet but usually produces quite well ..if i can get there before the douglas squirrel that rules my yard

please note on that blog ...
That banana ice cream at the top of the page makes me want to go fetal ..suck my thumb and twirl my hair!!!

so who is making what now? anything going on? ..next month I do my blackberry wine that is the only wine I will make this year

I am NOT getting grapes :(

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have continued to add to my lime and lemon peel collection. Your report on the lime is making me very excited since I have WAY more lime peel than lemon at this point :D

Until I have enough lime peel, I have my batch of mead to tend. I am fermenting some local clover honey. I spiced it with some cinnamon and orange peel. I also added a few tea bags during the boil to give it some tannins. I will be doing a first rack off next week....possibly. Depends on how much bubbling I still see.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Uhhh wifezilla :frow :frow just wanted you to know that if you need a official taster for your mead I'm sure that I could find the time to help you out :drool :drool . I mean, hey us Colorado folk gotta help each other out right?!?! :thumbsup
:rainbow-sun