Living in "an old house"

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH had the eyes of "a man 20 years younger" when he turned 50-ish. Now he is having trouble seeing and needs glasses for night driving -- not that he drives anymore. We traded in his license for a state ID this week.

I wore glasses when younger, but over time one eye has become my 'driving' eye and the other my 'reading' eye. Better(?) than perfect distance vision in my driving eye. Reading with that eye is useless to attempt, however, and my good reading eye has gradually been changing for the worse.

Eye doctor said a 'normal' change in eye shape was the reason for my driving eye and my brain adapted to using that one eye for seeing to drive.

Another time, DH was told he had the body of a much younger man. I used to tease him that when the one guy came for his eyes and the other for his body there would be little left for me.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother wears glasses and has another pair of glasses for reading. He 'stores' the extra pair on his forehead. That gives him the appearance of having either four or six eyes depending upon where the glasses are sitting.

One brief nod, and the second pair falls into place as the first pair takes its place on his forehead. Or sometimes both pairs are stacked on his forehead as he is talking.

Even infants give him a second, wide-eyed look, knowing that somehow the guy's face isn't right.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, right about now I am feeling much like that old house. At one time everything in the house was updated and new. Now many little things and some big things are going wrong and the house should be gutted and given a whole new updated life.

In the mean time, this old vessel is finding many little things and some big things in need of repair and up-dating isn't being discussed.

The moral?

A well-loved house can always be renewed. A well-loved vessel can be patched up some, but not renewed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It hasn't been a joy living with bifocals for nearly 3 decades. There are always potential problems with them.

I could still go that route but it seems kind of crazy since I'd be seeing through plain glass on the top.

Do you think I'd look ridiculous in those half glasses? Pince-nez? Okay. The former not the latter ... Anyone you know have the two lenses held together with magnet? Is there a special reason to have those?

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I now have reading glasses...even got some cutesy little chains to tether them with for when I am not using them. These only come out when we are playing board games that have small print on the cards. The kids say that "now you really look like a grandma"....that makes me laugh, as I was pretty sure I have looked like a grandma for a long, long time. :D

I look on living in this old body much like I look on living in an old house...

1) Keep it clean~even an old house looks good when it's kept neat.
2) Paint hides a multitude of sins~if it needs paint, slap some on. If you don't have the will to paint the whole house, just paint the trim...that will give it a little sprucing up.
3) And that house has been standing a long time so don't waste money trying to "fix" things like wavy floors and bad foundations....just live in it and enjoy it while you can. Nothing lasts forever and even well built old houses fall down eventually. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, do you mean the reading glasses that have a magnet in the bridge?
I knew someone who used those and they seemed much handier than tethering them on a leash around your neck or fishing them out of a pocket.

I wore cheaters for a year or so when working because I was having trouble seeing well enough to do detailed pruning chores. Such a pain having them on a glasses leash and having them swing in front of my face whenever I bent down. Then I finally just got glasses, and those were a bummer with rain and sweat and getting them hung up in wayward branches.
Now I wear contacts and have glasses when my contacts get uncomfortable after a long day.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, do you mean the reading glasses that have a magnet in the bridge?
I knew someone who used those and they seemed much handier than tethering them on a leash around your neck or fishing them out of a pocket.

"Front connect reading glasses"

I did a search with your better description. Yes. I think I'd be okay with them. I'm not too sure how much difference there would be from others. I hope to check them out "in person," soon.

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Front connect reading glasses"

I did a search with your better description. Yes. I think I'd be okay with them. I'm not too sure how much difference there would be from others. I hope to check them out "in person," soon.

:) Steve
I know someone with them. They lay over her neck and open along the front. A quick flick of one side connects them. She is a nurse and cares for people in their homes. The glasses look very stable where they are until needed. Much better than chains that leave the glasses at a level where they are easily bent or broken.

Eye doctor told me NOT to wear chains on my glasses for that reason. I stick one side of mine into my collar and they hang there pretty well. That's not too good for bending over gardening or working over the pond -- yeah, ask me how I know that one.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate glasses. Always have. I wear contacts but sometimes they can only take you so far, especially when the glass in the windows of the old house are wavy. Like when playing board games...or reading those tiny instructions on OTC pill bottles. :D

Can't wear glasses outside though....get fogged up when ya sweat, when it rains, when it snows...basically, a person is wearing fogged up lenses most of the time when outside. Glasses! Bah! :tongue