Look What's Popping Up!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I returned to the fence repair and painting job that I half-completed early in 2017, before gardening grabbed all my time ;). Cannot.hardly.believe that I'm doing this the 7th of February! One picket fence panel, dismantled from the front yard and carried to the carport, new rails with 2 coats of paint (dried!), even painted the inside of the cedar post so that I can screw the panel back ... whenever. I'll pull all pickets off, scrape, brush and paint them tomorrow. We will see what the weather will permit.

Popping up!? I saw 3 fungus gnats outdoors! One ended up in the paint and is now mummified. Insects flying outdoors on 7 February is really not what I have come to expect.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I returned to the fence repair and painting job that I half-completed early in 2017, before gardening grabbed all my time ;). Cannot.hardly.believe that I'm doing this the 7th of February! One picket fence panel, dismantled from the front yard and carried to the carport, new rails with 2 coats of paint (dried!), even painted the inside of the cedar post so that I can screw the panel back ... whenever. I'll pull all pickets off, scrape, brush and paint them tomorrow. We will see what the weather will permit.

Popping up!? I saw 3 fungus gnats outdoors! One ended up in the paint and is now mummified. Insects flying outdoors on 7 February is really not what I have come to expect.

Steve

walking in the nearby woods in late winter i will see the snow full of specks, fungus gnats or some other similar looking species. kinda hard to believe that yes indeed some creatures are active at or near freezing.

it was a nice winter day here yesterday, some sunshine - i needed some exercise so i shoveled the driveway and scraped some of the car compacted snow off so the sun could get to the concrete and melt/dry things up a bit. don't want anyone to slip. today i may do a bit more scraping just for something to do to get me outside for some fresh air.

when the sun is out now it is strong enough to warm up the driveway even on the colder days. you know what that means? spring is getting here. we'll have some flowers poking through the snow at times too. i have a hard time saying any flower is my favorite, but i do really like these:

100_4511_Blue_Ice_thm.jpg

100_7219_Miss_Blue_thm.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are 110mph winds on the summit of Mission Ridge Ski Resort in the Cascades again this morning!

In the Rockies near Helena, it is 33°f at Mullan Pass, elevation 5,900 feet. It's 47° here at home at 5am.

I noticed yesterday that all snow is gone from my yard. No surprise, eh? I'll check some local stream flows to see if flood waters are popping over banks!

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
walking in the nearby woods in late winter i will see the snow full of specks, fungus gnats or some other similar looking species. kinda hard to believe that yes indeed some creatures are active at or near freezing.

it was a nice winter day here yesterday, some sunshine - i needed some exercise so i shoveled the driveway and scraped some of the car compacted snow off so the sun could get to the concrete and melt/dry things up a bit. don't want anyone to slip. today i may do a bit more scraping just for something to do to get me outside for some fresh air.

when the sun is out now it is strong enough to warm up the driveway even on the colder days. you know what that means? spring is getting here. we'll have some flowers poking through the snow at times too. i have a hard time saying any flower is my favorite, but i do really like these:

100_4511_Blue_Ice_thm.jpg

100_7219_Miss_Blue_thm.jpg
What are the blue flowers ? I need some

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are the blue flowers ? I need some

these:

https://www.burpee.com/perennials/iris/iris-histroides-lady-beatrix-stanley-prod002960.html

i have had them set seeds and have babies planted around but i'm not sure how many years it will be before i see flowers from them.

they recommend some mulch on them and so far i can verify that they do better. the ones i planted in several other locations with more sand in the soil and no mulch didn't make it.

i like that they come up and flower early, similar to the crocuses. you'll see the flowers come up before the green stalks. i've had them come up and start to flower, then get buried in snow for a few weeks, but the flowers will survive as long as they aren't actually open for a few weeks under the snow. i was so surprised by that i took pictures of the whole sequence...

see bottom of page:
http://www.anthive.com/project/irises/

p.s. if i get a chance to redo that garden bed this summer i'll be digging them up to divide and spread them around, so if you don't get any ordered or forget send me a PM this summer and remind me, i'll send you some, they aren't big bulbs.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My "tall, very aromatic, white flowers on a green stalk" are all over the place. I planted them this past fall. (my memory runs from me periodically). And I've got daffodils popping up too.

Latest posts