Look What's Popping Up!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Record heat yesterday with 35+ mph winds. It was okay.

Today cooler but little wind - blue sky!

Winds must have shot north straight outta California warmth. Montana was frozen, even the near part, which is good. We need that snowmelt for summer irrigation!

;) Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hubby just came saying the little purple species tommasinianus crocus are blooming, a picture from last year
DSCN2260.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 18°f here at home this morning.

Hoodoo, closer to @thistlebloom , was 10°. But, that was at 8am so I think it was warming up ;).

It was 30 days with above average temperatures and now, it ain't. This might be a little hard for the snow drops, wood hyacinth and crocus plants. And my fence paint!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today is supposed to be nice. 14 degrees at 6:30 when I looked at the thermometer.

Thinking about hauling Luke over to the state park for a ride.
Yesterday the thermometer said it was warmer than it felt, but there was a strong breeze all day.

I drove into town and checked out the status of a few of my jobs. Looks like I can start doing a bit of cleanup and pruning next week. Now, that is probably the earliest I've ever started.
I'm missing my winter already.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today is almost a repeat of yesterday, snowing, just a bit colder...

we weren't supposed to get much snow yesterday, had about six inches.

forecast for the rest of the weekend is about three more inches.

i don't really care much as long as there is some snow cover because it looks so much nicer with a white blanket on it out there...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I'm a grizzled old-timer - I'll venture to put this over here on your thread, Thistle'.

During the '07-'08, '08 -'09 winters, I opened the front door one morning to a wall of snow to my waist. Now I know a lot of that was drift, but we had a couple feet out in the driveway that wasn't drift. Those were a crazy couple winters. It was a full time job keeping the chore paths clear as well as the house walkway and drive.
What I overheard a couple of grizzled old timers say was more like the way winters used to always be.

February 1969: "The Spokane Daily Chronicle reported that Spokane led the United States in depth of snow with 42 inches." LINK

That was the first winter I lived here. I was burning a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can with oil under the Volvo so that I could start it. Learning to use chains, wear reasonable clothing and boots ...

Steve

Latest posts