Looking for Fava Bean Seeds

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I'm not sure if I'll be able to eat them. I've read that you have to cut down the plants when they are in bloom. You can either leave the branches on the ground to decompose or chop them up and dig them in so they decompose faster. That's what I'll probably be doing. I want to plant them in September and hope I can turn them under in the spring. I like to plant early so we'll see. First time doing this.

Mary

any of the peas will probably work as a cover crop for you there as i don't think you get hard frosts. if you do the edible pods sorts and like edible fresh peas those are always delicious to me.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found fava beans! There were 4 packets left at the nursery. Bought one for me and one for my daughter. Thank you for your help.

Flowerbug, for some reason I am not successful at growing peas! You would think I have the perfect weather for them but I think part of the problem is my timing. We love sugar snap peas and I think I would love fresh shell peas. This fall I will add some more trellis to my raised bed and try growing them there.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary I have lots of clover in the pastures. It conditions the soil and gives good grazing in the early spring. I bought 50# bags, I don't think you want that much. Here's where i bought Dutch White clover because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I also have gobs of Crimson Clover, it is beautiful in the spring when it blooms.

Do you have seeds of the crimson clover you can send to me? I don't need that much and I too think it's beautiful.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
peas may need more light than what you get there? so perhaps for you it may be a matter of timing? like plant them in February... here we can plant a second crop but they never do as well as the first crop. so about a month and a half ago for you there may be a good time for a second planting. :)

trellis would be very nice to have. this year i planted a bunch of small blocks of peas in a tiny space and they crawled all over each other, but i found some worth growing so i will be able to try again this coming spring with a bigger patch with many fewer varieties.