Looking for Good Eazy Yams Recipe

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have thought that with all the good cooks here I would have received tons of ideas or recipes. :(

Bobm, how does your wife fix your yams/sweet potatoes?

Mary
My wife's easiest sweet potato recipe for city folk and NYboy : buy some canned sweet potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, cover the flat side
with butter paties then brown sugar , bake untill they are pipng hot and the butter and brown sugar are melted. My wife doesn't use any measurement of this recipe as well as many others as she uses her culinary skills of her taste buds and the twist or her wrist. The resulting fare is always :drool:drool:drool

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I hesitated because I don't use any exact measurements in mine. I followed a recipe from a friend when I first started making it, but lost the recipe and started winging it. It's always good though!

I start with about 3 large fresh SP. I cut them into rough thirds or quarters depending on the size. You can get some beautiful big ones in a large bag at Costco btw, and they're organic too.

Boil them until they're soft. Drain and peel. Mash like regular potatoes with butter and a little half~n~half. Stir in a beaten egg, add brown sugar to taste (not too much) and pour into a baking dish. I use a rectangular glass one so my mixture isn't deeper than about 2 inches. Make a topping with soft butter and brown sugar (about 1/4 cup butter to 1/2 cup brown sugar) mixed together. Top the SP in the pan with the topping sprinkled over it all. You may need more, I'm just trying to think how I usually do it and I mostly eyeball the topping step. Top it all with a layer of chopped pecans, or walnuts work well too if you don't have pecans. Bake until it's bubbling nicely around the edges and your nuts are toasty.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Thistle. I think someone here posted a recipe like that a few years ago. I made it and it was good but too sweet. I guess I could just use less sugar. I was looking for more of a glazed yam, using fresh ones. Perhaps I should check pinterest.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did them glazed once, about 30 years ago! They were good too. I remember I used honey and a little maple syrup, because in those days I never used refined sugar. Butter was in there somewhere... I should do that again...if you find a recipe on Pinterest will you post it here?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will do. One year I even tried Paula Deen's recipe thinking for sure that would be a good one. It had too much liquid and nothing special about them. The hotel where my husband works makes delicious ones. They gave me the recipe and mine didn't turn out. They also make the world's best bread pudding, to die for. Got that recipe too and nada. :(

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife's easiest sweet potato recipe for city folk and NYboy : buy some canned sweet potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, cover the flat side
with butter paties then brown sugar , bake untill they are pipng hot and the butter and brown sugar are melted. My wife doesn't use any measurement of this recipe as well as many others as she uses her culinary skills of her taste buds and the twist or her wrist. The resulting fare is always :drool:drool:drool
Canned yams? from a gourmet cook?

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found this recipe on Pinterest but it originally came from the Food Network's Chef Neely. It was given 5 stars and had 99 reviews.

Ingredients - Serves 4-6

4 tablespoon butter, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing pan

4 medium yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium size pieces

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tablespoons maple syrup

Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter.

2. Spread yams in an even layer in pan. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Mix in maple syrup and cook until smooth. Pour glaze over the yams then sprinkle with nutmeg, if using. Cover the baking dish with foil.

3. Bake for about 45 minutes till yams are tender when pierced with a fork but still hold their shape.

This is the recipe I will be using.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I supposed some do and you can probably add it to this recipe. I however will follow it the way they do. It has gotten a lot of rave reviews.

Mary

Latest posts