Market Trends

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many of the .01% in your location, @Nyboy. Don't leave! We need you there to keep an eye on them.

From Dogtrot to Greek Revival :)

That style is probably fairly common there but we have one not too far from my home. Something of a railroad tycoon's home: His second marriage was to his housekeeper. Forty-two years younger, she may have had something to do with the building of their new house.

His son was an adult with a family by then and they had homes on adjacent lots. The son had a large home but what strikes me about the father's house is how shallow - like 1 room deep. It is all curb appeal.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might have been just fine!

We think about those pioneers with log cabins. That might be true, or not. One of the first businesses to show up most everywhere was a sawmill. Logs or lumber, a dogtrot house (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtrot_house) was a pioneer style. A breezeway may be inappropriate for many locations but you can see how the style could lend itself to a

I have a friend from Possum Trot, KY. Oddest name for a town, I thought, but I see that it is another term for a Dogtrot house and in the general area where the style originated. Learn something new every day!

Sometimes when I am fed up with the rat race here at look at small hobby farms for sale and dream This is my dream this week
CL
x prohibited[?]
Posted about a month ago

print
favorite this post $299000 / 6br - 4500ft2 - GREEK REVIVAL ESTATE HOBBY FARM (FORT PLAIN, NEW YORK) hide this posting
image 1 of 4
00N0N_9Z0ds0VIxoa_600x450.jpg

3010.png
3010.png
3009.png
3009.png
3011.png
3011.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

6BR / 2.5Ba 4500ft2 available now

house
w/d in unit
off-street parking

GREEK REVIVAL CIRCA 1870 45 ACRE HOBBY FARM, FT PLAIN, NY
AN EXCEPTIONAL OFFERING - THIS 45 ACRE HOBBY FARM FEATURES A
13 ROOM MAIN HOUSE, A RENTAL HOUSE, 2 BARNS, SEVERAL ASSORTED OUT-BUILDINGS.
Great location 3 1/2 hours from Manhattan, only 5 minutes from the New York Thruway exit 29, The Erie Canal, and Amtrak RR
This 13 room 3700sf center hall Greek Revival with classic front facade located on rolling hills overlooking the scenic Mohawk Valley, is truly special and unique. It has been updated with todays amenities and boasts spectacular views, old world charm and is rich in detail and architectural appointment by renowned builders. It is located in the desirable St. Johnsville School District.
The main house was built in 1864 by Master Craftsmen, with later updates. The front porch and its 4 massive columns are of solid cement construction. The house sports a slate roof which has recently been restored. There is a large patio with Gazebo located on the side of the house which is great for entertaining! Another private patio is located on the rear side of the house
On the main floor off the 2 storey Center Hall are a banquet-sized 14 x 22 foot formal Dining Room with a brick fireplace and a swinging. . ."Butlers door; a formal 14 x 22 foot Living Room with a custom designed massive floor-to-ceiling brick fireplace, large floor-to-ceiling windows, and French doors which open into the Sunroom; and a large sunny eat-in country Kitchen with solid pine cabinets, new appliances, French doors also leading into the Sunroom, a half-bath/laundry room and a second staircase leading to the rear guest bedroom wing on the second floor. Off the kitchen is a Mudroom/Pantry which then leads to a Large Den/Family room with 2 offices. The Den has one door leading outside to the main patio area and a second door which opens to the private patio, gardens and fields on the opposite side of the house. The Den has a computerized pellet stove which enhances the rustic theme.
The center hall staircase rich in architectural features opens into the middle of the upstairs hallway. Off the main hallway on the second floor are the Master bedroom suite which features a full bathroom and a huge brick fireplace; 2 Queen-sized guest rooms; a quaint sitting area with windows overlooking the fabulous views of the Mohawk Valley and the Erie Canal; and a full bathroom. Off the rear hallway, are 3 smaller bedrooms with their own sitting area which has a separate staircase going down to the kitchen!
The top grade construction throughout the entire house is evident in the hardwood white oak floors and magnificent period moldings. Upgraded and renovated in 2007 to accommodate todays lifestyle, the plumbing lines have been redone, there is now 200 amp electric service, new ceiling fans, light fixtures and a satellite dish. All 3 bathrooms have new plumbing fixtures. Water to the house is from a super underground spring running through new water pipes to a 3000 gallon reservoir. High speed internet is available and will supply wi-fi throughout the house.
The house features a recently updated heating system with a new 97% efficient 2-zone furnace which uses clean propane; newly installed super efficient old-fashioned period cast iron radiators and an Energy Star rated water heater. All the appliances are included.
The income-producing second home has been renovated in 2009 and features 3 bedrooms; dining room; large sunny living room; eat-in kitchen with new stove; office alcove; pantry; 2 car garage with workshop; covered patio; new roof and heating system. It is currently rented at $600 a month. Total 1,500 Sf. (Can pay 1/3 of your mortgage payment)
The 2 storey 38 x 100 square foot cinder block barn with slate roof is in excellent condition! The lower level has 9 foot ceilings; a large heated office; a large storage room on the lower level and a large storage room on the upper level; 2 horse stalls; equipment storage area; a complete workshop; a wide easy-access staircase going to the upper level and room for much more! The upper level constructed of post and beam has 24 foot ceilings and ample storage space. The barn has 200 amp electric service and has a total of 7200 square feet of floor space.
Next to the large barn is a smaller barn formerly used for sheep. There are also several sheds which had housed ducks and geese.
The terrain varies considerably from steep to flat. About 15 acres are wooded. The remainder is manicured lawn, grazing, hay and corn fields, ¦all with quality soils suitable for a variety of growing and farming possibilities. At the highest point in the northeast corner of the property, is a small hunting lodge with a porch and spectacular views for miles around. The perimeter of the property has been fenced for sheep. The farm is affectionately called Hidden Creek Farm due to the charming stream that runs down the fields, through a small pond and into a large stand of trees! Immediately around the house the property is landscaped with many ornamental trees and shrubs. There is 3000 feet of road frontage.
There is more!! On one of the upper fields, the owners have developed a world class Paintball Sports Complex. There is also a 9 hole Mini-Golf and Golf Driving range where you can entertain your guests in style! The Paintball Complex is often rented for parties and special events. Included are the playing fields, snack bar, food court, BBQ area, general store and picnic areas. You may continue developing the business or easily revert the land back to farm use. Visit www.hilltoppaintball.com/house to see more!
A variety of power tools and maintenance equipment - such as rider mowers, an ATV, 2 golf carts, etc. - as well as the contents of the house are available for sale.
Convenient to great local restaurants, outdoor sporting centers, country clubs, and historic attractions, buying this property is more like buying a lifestyle! Perfect for opening a B&B or Yoga retreat.
PRICED TO SELL AT $299,000 - well worth the price with or without the business! Despite all this, the taxes are only $6000 annually.
LIFE IS GOOD AND SUDDENLY GETTING BETTER!
VISIT OUR WEBSITE: HIDDENCREEKFARM565.COM
Email at show contact info or call SHANE AT show contact info OR STAN AT show contact info
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6318907467

posted: about a month ago

updated: 16 days ago

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

discriminatory housing adsAvoid scams, deal locally! DO NOT wire funds (e.g. Western Union), or buy/rent sight unseen

That is about the going rate here for a house of that size with land, assuming the house has been maintained and updated. It doesn't appear all that large from the pics. 4500 Sq ft is huge! They must have had lots of children to accommodate.

Second wives are trophy wife. They get all the good jewelry. NY magazine did a 6 page article on it once.

Lol, my grandmother, first wife, ran off and found herself a much younger man with money. The step-grandma was not easy on the eyes, but still she fared better than the first. ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, depending on how the land lays (lies?), would it be possible to sell off a bit of the front, maybe just a 5 acre chunk, or so, for a small hobby farm, and allow you to keep the rest? You might even get a local neighbor to farm what needs to be worked, just so you could keep it in the family until you can make a considered decision down the road.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Second wives are trophy wife.
First wife left him after about 10 years and took the kids to Europe. Son came back.

Both their daughters married into British nobility. Seems that was common during those days. Local banker's daughters did the same thing.

I remember reading that one of banker's daughters had Norway maples planted on the estate "to remind her of home."

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, depending on how the land lays (lies?), would it be possible to sell off a bit of the front, maybe just a 5 acre chunk, or so, for a small hobby farm, and allow you to keep the rest? You might even get a local neighbor to farm what needs to be worked, just so you could keep it in the family until you can make a considered decision down the road.

Screenshot_2017-11-03-02-16-49.png

The road access is from the short stretch at the bottom and there is only one way up to the hilltop unfortunately (the flat pasture in the bottom 1/3rd is atop the hill). The neighbor to the left and the other neighbor across the road (bottom of the map) both asked about buying it. They both run cattle. I think they thought they could get it cheap if the estate was tied up with bills and we had to sell. Another neighbor whom I've known well since I was a kid mowed the hay field this summer in exchange for the hay. It's not high quality hay, since the field needs limed and fertilized, so I thought it was fair enough to let him just have it, and so I could have it cleared.

My brother may be content to hold it in heirship for awhile, also not wanting to part with it. My sister and her husband just bought a farm 3 years ago and are in debt up to their eyeballs, so I think they'll be wanting the money. :(

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey do what ever you have to to hold on to that farm. Our country is at a turning point farmers will be the new millionaires. Marijuana is becoming legal in more and more parts of the country. A good crop could pay for your daughters collage. If you have problems with it being use recreational you can grow for medical use only. Soon marijuana will be what cotton was to the plantations, oil to the Rockefeller.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve during the gilded age the super wealthy would marry their children to European nobility down on family fortunes. American brides would come with fortune in dowry, marry and become titled nobility. Sadly the girls had little choice of who the husband would be. The most famous was the Vanderbilts. Their daughter was in love with a American but her parents married her off to English nobility. The marriage contract stated she had to have children. She had a very unhappy marriage hated her husband. She did have 2 boys she would refure to them as the heir and the spare.

Latest posts