Market Trends

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 do whatever you have to do to hang onto that farm. You will never have a chance like this again. Buy a used mobile home and set it up. Sell your present home and use that money to buy out your brother and sister. Take your kids on an adventure of real living in the country.

@Nyboy move to Texas! It's a great place to retire. But not too many old 1800 farm houses around here, Texas was still Mexico back then. LOL

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 do whatever you have to do to hang onto that farm. You will never have a chance like this again. Buy a used mobile home and set it up. Sell your present home and use that money to buy out your brother and sister. Take your kids on an adventure of real living in the country.

@Nyboy move to Texas! It's a great place to retire. But not too many old 1800 farm houses around here, Texas was still Mexico back then. LOL

I've been crunching the numbers in my head and am going to put it all down on paper to go over with DH. I know I'll never have a chance to buy land that cheaply again. After factoring in my 1/3rd in the rest of things, I think I'll need around $30,000 to buy out the other two. I could even tack that on as an equity loan on my home. We live 10 minutes from the farm. Leasing to another person is a great idea, until I get up enough cash to start working it myself. Thanks for the insight, ya'll!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The romantic in me has a thing for family farms staying in families, but I am not the one paying the bills. Rent it out till you can work it, with your growing skills great place to retire and watch the future grandkids. Don't worry about the water that can be fixed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The romantic in me has a thing for family farms staying in families, but I am not the one paying the bills. Rent it out till you can work it, with your growing skills great place to retire and watch the future grandkids. Don't worry about the water that can be fixed.
Many times the younger generation has no interest in the land. My neighbors have a lot of land that they use for haying. It was split between a few children who are all in the 80's and 90's now. The oldest home in town has been left to rot and the same with multiple huge barns. No one actually lives on the land any more but they cannot part with it. It is good for us being next door in regard to lack of development. Likely the next generation will be happy to sell it off. Lucky for me we own the beginning of the little dirt road I will never allow a 40 foot road development for a McMansion development.

Latest posts