Monsanto - the planet killer is at it again.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monsanto has donated $4 million in seeds to Haiti, sending 60 tons of conventional hybrid corn and vegetable seed, followed by 70 more tons of corn seed last week with an additional 345 tons of corn seed to come during the next year. Yet the number one recommendation of a recent report by Catholic Relief Services on post-earthquake Haiti is to focus on local seed fairs and not to introduce new or "improved" varieties at this time.
Those evil, evil people donating seed to people in trouble. What next, send medical supplies from the evil, evil pharm companies....:rolleyes:

Catholic Relief Services......focus on local seed fairs (wake up people, they are in midst of disaster) & don't introduce new or improved varieties.......yeah stick w/things that don't work, don't improve them.....talk of STUPID.......hope they use post/mail for their communication, no computers, no phones (don't even mention cell phones), internet, etc. People starving and they worry about using new varieties.....wow, just WOW...hypocrosy at it's finest.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Satan could bring water to the people wondering lost in the desert... doesn't mean you should take the water without suspicion or that Satan has turned over a new leaf.

I'm sure the banks in trouble giving out iffy mortgages and then selling them as investments knowing most people couldn't pay them, had the best interests of the home buyers in mind too.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds so good- giving seeds to starving people... until you look a little further. We "gave" Haiti a bunch of corn, just when their local corn became available. Now those farmers can't sell their corn for a decent price. These things are very complicated...If Monsanto offered to give me seeds I would burn them. I am sure they just took a 4 million dollar tax deduction too. Ugh! If you were going to donate seeds, wouldn't it be so much better for them to be non-hybrid so the people could collect and grow seeds next year???

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
It sounds so good- giving seeds to starving people... until you look a little further. We "gave" Haiti a bunch of corn, just when their local corn became available. Now those farmers can't sell their corn for a decent price. These things are very complicated...If Monsanto offered to give me seeds I would burn them. I am sure they just took a 4 million dollar tax deduction too. Ugh! If you were going to donate seeds, wouldn't it be so much better for them to be non-hybrid so the people could collect and grow seeds next year???
This is also a free way to TEST their seeds for viablity. If the seeds do poorly, the people can't complain because they were free and monsanto is not out the money for research testing. If they do well, Monsanto stands to profit.

Why isn't their a world organization for 'sustainable living practices worldwide' where we collect seeds and trades for poor counties in crisis so we can supply them with the ability to regrow their agricultural needs on their own for a lifetime of decent living. Like collecting seeds from heirloom variety plants ONLY from home gardeners and donate them to the foundation?! We could all do this, and there would be big "NO THANK YOU" cards sent from 3rd world countries to Monsanto's door!!!

Not to mention to be able to collect, and clean seeds to get the american farmer back on the right path toward EARNING money with their ability to farm, rather then sell their souls to companies like Monsanto so they can keep foreclosure at bay 1 more year!!!! :rant

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Satan could bring water to the people wondering lost in the desert... doesn't mean you should take the water without suspicion or that Satan has turned over a new leaf.

I'm sure the banks in trouble giving out iffy mortgages and then selling them as investments knowing most people couldn't pay them, had the best interests of the home buyers in mind too.
It's simple, don't take seed or take it and say "thank you". Don't have to like a company but a reasonable person would see the good that this was done and not critize them for a gift. Or do you critize all who give gifts and especially if they take it off of their taxes--I know no one on this board would ever take a tax deduction.

Ag is NEVER going to allow people to steal intellectual property again. Don't like it, no problem, go breed your own. There is foundation seed at all land grant colleges, knock yourself out. Some on this board advocate the same logic we use to steal from the American Indian. You have it, I want it, I'll take it.

Lesa, seed was given, not the end product. It will have no effect on their prices except the Haitian farmer will have less input costs. After a major catastrophy, seed would be lost.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
vfem said:

It's simple, don't take seed or take it and say "thank you". Don't have to like a company but a reasonable person would see the good that this was done and not critize them for a gift. Or do you critize all who give gifts and especially if they take it off of their taxes--I know no one on this board would ever take a tax deduction.

Ag is NEVER going to allow people to steal intellectual property again. Don't like it, no problem, go breed your own. There is foundation seed at all land grant colleges, knock yourself out. Some on this board advocate the same logic we use to steal from the American Indian. You have it, I want it, I'll take it.

Lesa, seed was given, not the end product. It will have no effect on their prices except the Haitian farmer will have less input costs. After a major catastrophy, seed would be lost.
I critize those who give as a means to their own end. To act as if this was a selfless act is pointless, as it is clearly not. The government forces most industries to donate a certain amount each year based on sales. Again, these seeds are not the gift that keeps on giving. And I'm just waiting to hear that the crops that get grown fail. They've done this once before in India supplying 'free seed' where the crop failed. Its a RISK to take these seeds, not a gift.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
vfem said:

Hey, who cares if these people get sick or die from eating food from this big generous giveaway. Monsanto cant seem to sell it elsewhere so that is a good thing right? And besides, these people are not my kind of people anyway. :/

Latest posts