most unusual produce

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love fried Eggplant. Slice it thin, flip it in some salt and flour, then fry til crisp. Drain on paper towel and enjoy while hot.

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Kohlrabi would be my unusual veggie. If only I could find some taro I would be happy.........

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Every year I try something new ... like Artichokes . ;)

I have found "Taro " at grocery store and planted it .

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
katz said:
Every year I try something new ... like Artichokes . ;)

I have found "Taro " at grocery store and planted it .
How did your artichokes turn out? Mine came up fast and then stayed the same size the rest of the year.

My unusual veggie would be fava beans. I also did not have very good luck with those. I planted them too late. I will try again in the spring.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anybody tried Agretti? It's in my Johnny's catalog on page 41. Described as a "very popular green in Italy...crunch, bit sourish and a bit bitter. Excellent lightly sauteed with garlic and olive oil..." Sounds interesting.

How about salsify? I tried it last year but could not differentiate its grass-like foliage from all the weeds that surrounded it. :rolleyes:

I'm also wondering about broccoli raab? It looks attractive as a very early spring plant, only 35 days for the earliest variety. I've never used it, though, or tried growing it and would love to have comments on either.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Has anybody tried Agretti? It's in my Johnny's catalog on page 41. Described as a "very popular green in Italy...crunch, bit sourish and a bit bitter. Excellent lightly sauteed with garlic and olive oil..." Sounds interesting.

I'm also wondering about broccoli raab? It looks attractive as a very early spring plant, only 35 days for the earliest variety. I've never used it, though, or tried growing it and would love to have comments on either.
I saw that listing for Agretti, and I agree it looks pretty cool. The Japanese have a plant that seems like it, it grows in brackish water so it has a interesting salty taste. I wonder if Agretti is similiar.

We grow Johnny's Sessantina Brccoli Raab and love it; it's easy to start from seed and it grows fast. Last year I started seeds March 1 and transplanted April 10 in 40 degree weather. In retrospect I could have transplanted it April 1 easily (I'll do that this year in fact.)

Sessantina is a cool weather variety and it bolts fast, but I still love it because it thrives when there is not really much else growing. I grow it under a floating row cover to deter animals because it's the only green thing in my yard.

It has a slightly bitter taste and its good sauteed with garlic and onions. It's a hearty green like collards, kale and swiss chard.

This year I'm going to double the amount I grow! :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Egglant. Not so sure about it. I grew it once but I think I left it on to long and it was rubbery. No so sure about it.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just received a new catalog from Raintree Nursery today and in it is a section entitled:

Unusual Fruits

They list:

Persimmons
Medlars
Cacti
Paw Paws
Mulberries
Edible Dogwood
Jujubes
Pomegranates
Figs
Chilean Guava