Moving

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We also moved to be closer to our grand daughter-and got 2 more as a bonus! I totally get it. We don't know what we would have done, rattling around in a much larger house--ALL ALONE with NO grand babies! Moving is the best thing we ever did.

Make this as slow a process as needed. Look and find the just right place for you, wife and the grand babies. What about room for a few hens? Grands LOVE to go "pick" eggs!

You could make a journal of your moving adventures and update it with what's new. That way, we all could still stay in touch with you!

No I don't do journals. I'm just not good at it.

I don't expect chickens. It will be suburban and a big reason I raise them is for the table. I don't know what the rules will be in suburbia but butchering is generally discouraged. Roosters can be too. Besides, chickens tie you down if you can't find someone top watch them for you. That's why i got rid of them here. The only animals I expect to have are dogs that can be boarded.

Go slow? Would you like to meet my wife. Two weeks ago she was talking about moving this fall, maybe Thanksgiving. She has already got an agent and has done her cleaning and most of the de-cluttering so we can take photos and start the process next Wednesday. Go slow, not in her DNA.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck @Ridgerunner , you gonna be in Cajun country down that far. You could join the Cajun navy lol. It will be nice to be close to family and the grandkids especially. Good luck I hope you find a patch of land big enough to grow a garden of any size. Hope you check in here and there.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm jealous too, that you are moving close by the grands. We are now within 4 hours of ours, but only if we make an effort do we get to see them. I wish I was closer. I'm very happy for you and yea! on that Wife of yours gettin' her git up and go mojo!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked a day or two ago and learned that it was about 2 weeks ago that you posted, Ridge'. Hoped that you were just traveling.

Yes. It doesn't make a whole lotta sense for the kids to have grandchildren and for the grandparents not to show up to take advantage of the situation ;).

Dad had only a 100' by 100' suburban lot but a 20' by 100' garden ... with trouble filling it ...

I expanded it another 20' by 25' ;). The home was right at 1,000sqft with a basement and a 2 car garage was attached. Of course, the only time we saw a car in the garage was when it was either my car or my brother's and room was made so we could work on it. There was a carport at one end of the house for Dad's boat and room for his camper at the other. Room for a border collie, too ...

Really, what made the space so useful was that there was only a narrow front yard. But, a 2,000sqft garden is good size even for a family with children, IMO.

We visited New Orleans on an alternate route so as to drive thru New Iberia. It was a dreary day so we didn't take a tour of the Tabasco plant but it was interesting seeing how they had a field of peppers right out front, at least they did. Overshot the city an additional few miles so we might have entered it there to the south. I think we had an idea that it was closer to the Gulf than it is but it was fun seeing all the sugar cane and some of the south Louisiana country homes.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck, Ridge, in your efforts. I wish I could borrow your wife to get things moving along in my house.
It would be good to remain open to any and all situations. I could visualize you with no yard at all, but volunteering to help in community gardening projects, or possibly gardening on other people's property, as Steve has done.
Change is inevitable. It's hard to make the decision to act, though.
I have a little plaque that says "Leap, and the net will appear"
So, happy leaping to you!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome back ridge, missed ya. :)

move the stuff you want to storage and auction all the rest. i would not like leaving a well stocked workshed. i really miss not having any space to work on things here unless i want to set up outside (then the weather changes..., etc).

Craigslist for sale and free ads will get rid of a lot of things.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Belle Chasse is a good area, I've been there numerous times while working. I always enjoyed the people there, they were 'down to earth'. I wish it was closer to visit more often...

Latest posts