Moving

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a big change Ridge but I know it will be for the better. As we get older there's nothing that ties us more than family or grandkids. Everything else is just things. I'm sure you will find room enough to garden in. Will you be able to garden year round?

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably year around Mary. I'll have to learn how to do that. Most years you do get a heavy frost or freeze, but some years peppers or tomatoes can make it through the winter. I'd think I could plant some cool weather crops in the fall and the summer stuff would probably go in really early, maybe February. It will certainly be a steep learning curve.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'll be able to grow the cool weather crops all winter, they'll burn up in late spring. Tomatoes and peppers will go with a frost, but you might not get a frost until November or December. With a small greenhouse, you could keep some going even in the winter.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in that general area before I had an area maybe 5' x 8' and even that was in partial shade. A lot of trees but in suburbia trees were nice, especially when it can be pretty warm in summer. I did grow a few things there but nothing like I can up here in Arkansas. I won't know what I'll have work with until I get it so it's no use to speculate too much. Whatever it is I'll manage.

New Orleans was settled there because it is dry land but it is surrounded by water, swamps, and marsh. They have built levies and keep it pumped out so parts are below sea level but not where I'm going. I have to be south of New Orleans to be near the grandkids, 20 minutes is pretty much our maximum. You can't just expand out in the country because that is all wetlands. That makes land pretty precious and lots small.

Twenty years ago I saw people buy a broken down house on a small lot for $60,000 to $80,000. They'd tear down that house to build a nice one so the lot cost was 60 to 80 plus demo costs. Then they started to build a new house. We won't be looking in that nice an area, we will be a bit further out from the downtown area, but we won't look for acreage, we'll be looking for a larger lot. They do exist, you can get some strange shaped lots when boundaries are bayous and rivers. I've known neighbors to buy a lot between them and split it. A lot depends on what is on the market when we are looking. We have another restriction too. My wife weaves. We'll need enough room for her looms. It will be an interesting search when we get to that point.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate living in a house that is on the market. You never know when a group of strangers will be walking through. Everything must be prefect before leaving for work.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, you'd be surprised how much you can grow in a small yard. I'm sure mine will be way smaller than yours and I can grow plenty. Of course it may not be enough to can but certainly enough to eat fresh fruits and veggies for your family.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I've been thinking of you as a potential resource. It depends on what I wind up with. I'm also thinking I may have to learn the raised bed method instead of just planting into the ground.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I've been thinking of you as a potential resource. It depends on what I wind up with. I'm also thinking I may have to learn the raised bed method instead of just planting into the ground.
Awww...that's such a sweet compliment. :) I don't have raise beds because they take up too much room in my tiny yard. I really only have 3 in ground beds that are 4x4. Also have another that is maybe 4x5 raised about 6 inches where my green bean trellis's are.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we moved from acreage in the country to the city ... I found that it is much better to grow high dollar value fruit / vegetables and buy the cheaper items from the grocery stores. :old

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You may have to "Do as the Romans do..." and plant what grows there. I had never planted anything in SC before, and am finding out there isn't much will grow here what doesn't already. Okra, sweet potatoes, tomatoes. cucumbers....
Even the flowers are picky as to what will grow here in SC. Too much heat too soon. It is only end of Feb and we have had 70's & 80's already.

Latest posts