Moving

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get irked at me.... I appreciate the proof reading.

What is a loafing barn A loafing shed is a building with a roof, sides, and back but open front that horses can shelter in from the weather. Since i closed in the front it is no longer a loafing shed, it's just a 12' x 60' shed.

and what kind of tree is a plumb? Obviously a plum

I sent her five total changes, she said she would take care of it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice place, I hope it sells quickly for you. And I hope you find just what you want for your new home.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a brief update. We've had three people look so far, interestingly two of them were this past Monday at almost the same time. We get style points from the agents in the feedback, the property is priced right and shows great. But so far no offers.

We got an agent in South Louisiana yesterday and she sent us a few to look at. Three of them look interesting but they all have flaws. One is in an HOA I'm really cautious about that. I probably won't like the rules. Another might work out but the back yard is pretty small and there is not a good loom room. It's one we have to look at before we prejudge too much. The third looks pretty nice but there is a wetlands reclamation project going on just a block away. And it has a swimming pool which neither of us want. A question is how much will it cost to remove the pool. We'll go down at Easter to see the grandkids and look around then unless this one sells and we get in a hurry.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time for an update. We are under contract to sell, but are awaiting the results of the inspection. We should get that this morning. Our current closing date to move out is May 14th.

We are under contract to purchase a house in Belle Chasse, La. It's about 10 minutes from our grandkids so we are pleased with the location. The house is 30 years old so here are a few issues but it was redone 9 years ago so it is in pretty good shape. There is a shed in the back that has a flat roof so there are some real issues with water damage there. Drainage in the back is an issue too but I have a few ideas about how to handle that. As expected the area I have to grow anything is pretty limited in suburbia, especially compared to what I have here, but I'll see what I can do about that. Overall the house is about what we wanted. Our current closing date is May 24 so we are working out logistics.

It's going to be a while before I plant anything. In addition to the normal moving in I want to solve that drainage issue before I work out final plans. I'm leaning toward raised beds along the northwest fence so it should get plenty of sun. That's one advantage, no trees so shade or roots is not an issue. So progress is underway and there is a sense of urgency that was missing before.

Eventually I'll post photos but it will be a while.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, you can grow a lot in a small gardening space. The only thing is that you won't be able to grow enough for canning or freezing. You will only be able to grow for fresh eating for your family. I have to supplement my tomatoe harvest with tomatoes from the farmer's market for my canned salsa. You can see how little space I really have in a picture I posted in the What did you do in the Garden Today.

Though I'm happy with the amount I can grow, I could do better if I was better at successive planting. I'm sure you will be able to do that and grow way more than I can. I think the size of your garden will be just perfect. It will be manageable and take less time. You will have the best of both worlds, gardening and grandkids, and time for any other hobby you may have. I can't wait till you start gardening and sharing with us.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Afternoon shade hasn't been a problem for most of the salad greens that I have grown. This is an arid summer place and some plants can appreciate that afternoon protection. At least, the leaves benefit even if conditions inhibit plant maturity but with leafy greens, that is a plus!

Those leafy greens can be the most expensive items in the produce aisle besides being among the most nutritious.

We grow a lot of basil. There must not be a more tender herb. It's another plant that grows well in shade.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on finding the house you want and congrats on selling your present house. Things are working out well for you and your wife. I can vouch for being mere minutes away from the grand kids. It is so worth moving for! You both are going to enjoy life with the grand kids so close by.

Latest posts