my new cud chewing beauty queen

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a stupid little thing, but it cracked me up.

I was at church last night and owed one of the kids for a calendar.
I said "All I've got is a $20, do you have any change?"
He said "No mam."
I said, "Wait! I bet I've got it in my bale money." - pulled out my wallet and dug out the needed $1 bills.
He left and I turned around to find one of the pastors standing behind me. "Ms Debbie, I couldn't help but overhear... you are carrying around bail money??"
"Yes. I save it up all week out of change for this and that so I don't have to take out so much on Friday nights when I need the cash."
He just stood there looking at me funny and I waived and left.
About half way home it hit me that he couldn't have known that I pick up a round bale of hay every Friday evening and pay the farmer cash for it....

... probably gonna end up as the topic of a sermon for that one too....

Cane, this is the funniest little story I've heard in a long time. :lol: You should make some money off it by submitting it to Reader's Digest!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMGosh @canesisters ! I dunno that I wouldn't have gotten attached to him. You are cool as a cucumber. Chickens are different.

Well, it wasn't something I'd want to do every day...:( And I have made a point of not making a pet out of him from day one. He was never a snuggly 'pocket cow' like his Mom is. He came and went as he pleased from pasture to pasture, had all he wanted to eat, spent his days napping and chewing his cud and chasing crows (he had a THING about them landing in his pasture).. but he never wanted much to do with me and that was just fine.

I found out last night that a friend had bought half a steer from the guy who hauled Carter for me. He had hauled his to the processor first, then came and got Carter. As it turned out, Amy was planning to sell half of her half to a guy her husband works with. But the farmer had an accident on the farm that morning and wasn't able to load the cow he wanted. Turned out that he took a much smaller one instead. Which means that Amy and her family will be getting about 100lbs less than they expected and don't want to sell any of it.
Sooooooo...... She told me that since they had to pay the farmer for the cow AND pay the processer to butcher and package, theirs was coming to about $3/lb - where mine will only be $0.60/lb (processing only). Which means that - if I want to sell a couple hundred lbs to her husband's co-worker - I'll still have 300+lbs in the freezer and have made back what it cost to process Carter PLUS another $300!!!!
:ya:woot

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sooooooo...... She told me that since they had to pay the farmer for the cow AND pay the processer to butcher and package, theirs was coming to about $3/lb - where mine will only be $0.60/lb (processing only). Which means that - if I want to sell a couple hundred lbs to her husband's co-worker - I'll still have 300+lbs in the freezer and have made back what it cost to process Carter PLUS another $300!!!!
:ya:woot

you're gonna be a rancher baron! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna get those 3 little gates that I've been wanting to replace the 2x6 'gates' on the stalls and stanchion - and the hardware to turn the HUGE swinging barn back door into a slider - and gravel for my muddy driveway. ;)

if you want to really help the drive out, have them put down some sand first to raise it up more, roll it, then spread gravel on top. sand is much cheaper than gravel.

oh, sorry just re-read, for that little $ just a patch job of gravel...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree, you worked for this. Do take umbrage at best life. Getting neutered at a young age, made to associate with a bunch of old cows, then off to slaughter-not much of a life to me.....I’d want a night on the town, chasing the ladies before my last meal..... I kid.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @baymule! No calf yet. I held off breeding her back until I KNEW that I could actually send Carter off. I didn't want to end up with THREE pet cows. :confused:
Next time around though, I hope to have a calf on the ground before the yearling leaves.

Latest posts