my new cud chewing beauty queen

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
nothing more satisfying than to see your food storage fill up from your own land and your own hands. Looks great. Do you milk in the morning or at night?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your a better person then I am. I would not have shared just because of all the remarks made about butchering him.

Oh - THOSE folks don't even know it done. :tongue on them! I'm actually expecting a bit of a scene the next time my sister comes out and there is only 1 cow in the pasture.... :(

Three of the families that got some had gotten together to split another steer. But it turned out that they got much less each than they had expected. 'Share' may have been misleading - they asked if I would be willing to let them buy anything that didn't fit in my freezer. It worked out that they split about 300lbs and covered my cost of processing. Wasn't 'free' but T-bones the size of my head for $2/lb is pretty close. :)
The 4th person rescues hounds and took all the organs, tongue, and some stew beef (all free). She grinds it up and uses it to get them to take meds without a fuss.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Free tongue? That’s a great meal. You kept the heart? Another great meal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister won't eat at my house because it might be a poor little animal..... but she has no problem eating industrial meat. Stupid. You can't fix stupid.

when the pink slime information came out that should have given people a clue... i have vastly improved my health by not eating much commercially processed meats and i generally don't have fast food very often at all. it's just too expensive and doesn't taste all that good compared to what we can make. if i'm going to spend money out for food i like it to be at a place i know does things well. the chinese place we go has been there over 40yrs. we joke that we've paid for a large portion of it through the years.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister won't eat at my house because it might be a poor little animal..... but she has no problem eating industrial meat. Stupid. You can't fix stupid.
I once had a client make a nasty remark about another clients fur coat. I said do you think your shoes and pocketbook didn't bleed when killed. Leather is fur without the hair.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that we all get caught up in half-realized thought processes that don't make sense at times.
Several weeks ago I was at a steak house with a friend. The hostess led a family to the booth across from us and the woman asked to be taken to another table instead - her reason? - she didn't want to have to look at that "poor cow's head" that was mounted over the bar... I begged Tracy to move to the table behind her so I could hear if she ordered a steak. Bet she did and wanted it rare.
My sister loves the longhorn skull mounted on the wall in my dining room - his name is Larry. But she will (I expect) have a melt down and leave when she arrives on the 17th and finds out that Carter is gone. (well... not GONE, just moved from pasture to freezer) ;)
It doesn't make sense. They just haven't thought it through. Most don't want to. They are happy in their ignorance. And, I guess, that's ok. Luckily we live in a country with so much abundance that the majority don't HAVE to ever even consider where their food comes from. Personally, I prefer knowing not only how the food came to be on my plate, but also knowing what sort of quality of life it had before it got there.
To each their own.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
nothing more satisfying than to see your food storage fill up from your own land and your own hands. Looks great. Do you milk in the morning or at night?

Evenings.
It takes about 45mins total from the time I leave the kitchen to storing the full 1/2gallon jars back into the fridge.
cow[1].gif