my new cud chewing beauty queen

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why? In spite of how these ladies treat the male of the species, female animals eat as well as male...... ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, probably not. My pastures (right now) would be really pushed to support 2 adult mamas year round
I've made contact with several beef farmers around the area. They keep herds of cows and sell off the calves every year. I'm hoping that I might be able to 'switch' with one of them - give them my heifer to add to their herd in trade for a steer.

But - concerning the pastures :), I'm meeting with a friend who is a surveyor this weekend to walk the property lines and re-mark my boundaries. 2/3's of my land is wooded and unfenced. I've just not had the time/tools/money to 'make pasture'.
However - after seeing how beautifully a cow can clear underbrush - I'm going to TRY to expand the pastures bit by bit (as money will allow) into the woods and let Eva and her calf do the clearing for me. It's slow... but it's cheap.
In ideal circumstances, I'd have a beef mama or two raising a couple calves each, plus 1 dairy girl JUST producing for home and sale (herdhshares in VA).

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mission Accomplished!!!

This is about 1/3 of the meat. I was able to help out 4 other families by the time it was all over. :D

freezer.jpg full freezer.jpg med roast.jpg med t-bone.jpg

Can't wait to thaw some out and see how it tastes! :drool
PLUS - I've been getting about a gallon a day from Eva so even more folks are benefiting from al the milk, yogurt and cheese that I can't use up. :love (I'm not sharing the butter)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mission Accomplished!!!

This is about 1/3 of the meat. I was able to help out 4 other families by the time it was all over. :D

View attachment 24361 View attachment 24362 View attachment 24363 View attachment 24364

Can't wait to thaw some out and see how it tastes! :drool
PLUS - I've been getting about a gallon a day from Eva so even more folks are benefiting from al the milk, yogurt and cheese that I can't use up. :love (I'm not sharing the butter)

my hero of the week award! :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful sight. That took work, dedication and love for your animals. Yes, we love our animals, especially the ones we raise to eat. Sharing the bounty is a generous thing to do. Good for you. :thumbsup

Latest posts