My New Greenhouse

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
Thanks Rich,
Great idea! I'll have to look into that, but I think I might just run to the local hardware - for the visegrips - I wouldn't want mine to be rusty. :lol:
If you leave them out very long they will be!!!!

THANX RICH

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the smaller version of the same greenhouse. It has been up for four years and I absolutely love it. It took me about three days to complete the installation. It sits on pressure treated four by fours anchored with rebar.

Jack

Automation.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... I am beaming of jealously! Everything looks fabulous. :p

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that shading is an absolute necessity. I am using shade cloth. If you look at the photo you can see it. It comes in a variety of shading degrees, and I am using 45%, which is recommended for vegetables.

Jack

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackb, that looks fabulous!! Do you keep it up through the winter? Are you having to heat it, this time of year? I'm in Utica, NY- about 1.5 hours from you. Welcome!!!!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use it from the beginning of March to late November, then I grow indoors under LED lights. The pea gravel, patio blocks and planters retain some heat, however, I also use an electric oil filled and small electric greenhouse heater set to 45 degrees if the temperature at night is going into the 30s. I do not find the cost of heating to be a burden at all. A timer turns the heat on from nine to nine, and if the temps go below 45 the heat comes on. We have not purchased salad greens in over a year, and we have a salad at least once a day.:)

There are more photos on my blog if you are interested in indoor gardening...
Jack

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your blog is great... So, you don't transplant- you grow all summer in the greenhouse? I am very interested in hydroponics...I am just not sure about the investment. My daughter recently moved out and I have fantasies about turning her room into a hydroponic area...It would be fun to at least have greens all year. Are you doing your gardening organically? Very nice setup...

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there is some debate about hydroponics and organic gardening. My nutrients come right from the element salts. Organics are produced by microbes and earthworms etc. The plant does not know, or care, where the nutrients come from. Most of the systems I built myself and were inexpensive. Using dry nutrients I spend less than twenty dollars a year on them, and I garden 365 days a year. It is nice to know where, and how, your veggies were grown. If I give someone a bag of lettuce grown hydroponically it usually gets rave reviews.. ;)

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
hubby just bought this today from HF the 10x12 For me so i can seed our own vegetables. I read up on it and and im nervous as to if it will hold up with the spring winds. It a $500 dollar blow if the winds tear it up next spring. Know i need to learn about using a greenhouse. What i can plant and when

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, mamato3, I know it is on sale at HF, right now. I am so tempted!!! Jackb says he holds his down with rebar...I would like to know if it is impossible to put up and take down. I would rather only use it early spring, to summer. I don't have a great permanent place for one...Keep us posted on your progress.

Latest posts