My own amaryllis cross

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have many amaryllis seedlings that I have been growing for more years than I care to admit to . 3 more are now in bloom. The red is the biggest Amaryllis that I have ever seen. Hope you enjoy.
red amaryilis .jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Want advice? Seek out an expert!

Cat, I have two 'teenaged' amaryllis plants. What do I do to get them to blooming stage? It has been years since I had one in bloom.
Fertilize them lightly when you water. I often use an orchid fertilizer. Keep them outside all summer until it gets cold. Bring them in and let the foliage die back by withholding all water. When they look all dried and dead water again. Mine do not bloom for Christmas but I do no care. Actually if it has been years and they have been green all of this time you can probably just without water now.It takes quite a bit of time to dry out completely.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do I separate them and put them into smaller pots?
I have had a hard time getting any real info from experts. All I ever read is the simple info that I gave you. I want to figure out how to get my bulbs to grow faster to blooming size. I finally got a little better info from a University site. (I did not bookmark it.) One thing it said was that they like to be tight in their pots. so it seems that repotting is not a good idea. I go to a slightly larger pot and add more potting mix without disturbing the root system very much. My plants that are rather tight together have developed large bulbs and are blooming. Go figure.

Latest posts