n95 dust masks

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is giving me a taste of what retirement will be like. That's a good thing.
Things are beginning to close here too, though we are not being told to self quarantine - yet. My job has actually gotten crazy busy due to increased demand from some of our customers (think TP & hand sanitizer). We will be working 6 days, until we get shut down, which probably won't be long.

When/if the shutdown arrives, it will be sort of a dry run for retirement... but with far less volunteering & social interaction. I've given thought to actually retiring early (was planning on later this year anyway), but it would be difficult to make all of the preparations given the present circumstances.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you enjoy your job, stay at it. Too many of us need a way to ease into retirement. Huge life style change for the retiree as well as spouses. Sleeping in, doing whatever was fun for 2-3 weeks, then I needed some reason to get out of bed. When garden was going, fine. Fall, winter, cold, too easy to become couch potato.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep a good supply of baby wipes for our bathroom. Since we have a septic tank, we use them and throw them away into the covered bathroom trashcan. Right now my liner bags smell like lavender, and I bought a new package of 75 of them last month.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeedman, it is Day 2 for us and I'm already starting to get bored. I'm following a flexible schedule of working out a little each day, working on a section of the garden, and going for walks. Going to also tackle a section of each room decluttering it. So I have plenty of things to keep me busy. But I miss the social interaction of going to the gym, going out on errands, seeing my grandkids etc.

I am trying to ease into retirement by cutting down. Instead of working 4 days I'm going to drop down to 3 sometime this summer or fall. I will also try to cut down the number of preschoolers I have from 6 to 4-5 to lessen the workload. I think it would be hard to all of a sudden retire cold turkey.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you enjoy your job, stay at it. Too many of us need a way to ease into retirement. Huge life style change for the retiree as well as spouses. Sleeping in, doing whatever was fun for 2-3 weeks, then I needed some reason to get out of bed. When garden was going, fine. Fall, winter, cold, too easy to become couch potato.
Seed, so true. My husband says we need to limit our tv watching to perhaps only in the evenings. It's easy to get lazy. At least for me it is.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, so true. My husband says we need to limit our tv watching to perhaps only in the evenings. It's easy to get lazy. At least for me it is.

Mary

i was so much happier not having to do an office job any more. i got a lot more exercise and had a girl friend for a few years until she want back out west again. i travelled all over the place including ending up in Edmonton Canada of all places. i never got as far over as Alaska though.

then i ran around a bunch in the mountains of TN and western NC and looked for a place to live but never ended up finding a place there either and eventually came back north to be closer to family since that is where i was spending a lot of time on the road back and forth to visit. just didn't make sense to live far away. now that i'm living with the person i was visiting the most that is much easier. :)

i really don't have any problem keeping busy. at all. i have plenty of projects on the computer i can get into when the weather is bad and i love to read and study stuff so i can always dig something up to get into that ways.

and then...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
as of tomorrow dw wife is working from home as the federal building is closing... she asked me the question did i have a problem with that.....:caf ..

my answer ...hell no they gave you all the tools to work from home.... do it

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter is traveling nurse. Hospitals are running out of supplies thanks to people hoarding supplies. They are asking them to now work in dangerous situations for the nurses.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter is traveling nurse. Hospitals are running out of supplies thanks to people hoarding supplies. They are asking them to now work in dangerous situations for the nurses.
My daughter is a nurse at Children's hospital and they too are running out of supplies such as masks and gowns. She says people are buying all these N95 masks and are improperly using them. They have them fitted to them annually in order to work properly.

Mary

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm potato... so, still gardening in spirit. :)

Yes, I do enjoy my job for the most part, and will need to replace the challenges & friendships that made it fulfilling. And of course, it will be a more difficult financial transition under the present circumstances - it remains to be seen. Nothing is as it was.

I'm not worried about spending too much time watching TV in retirement, that's DW's thing. I'm more worried about spending too much time in this chair... :caf Y'all make it a comfortable place to relax.

Latest posts