n95 dust masks

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
UN just warned that we're also on the brink of a hunger pandemic. Can't win for losing.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even tho I filed for UE and have no income right now, I was able to donate to the Senior Center in my small town. Meals on Wheels comes every Mon thru Fri and with things closed up tight, our poorer seniors were suffering for this past month. I hope that things smooth out for those who have little to nothing....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get why younger, families that are currently unemployed will struggle, but seniors should be fine as SS & benefits still coming in.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some seniors SS checks are very small and not enough to raise a cat on. Think people who were poor to start with and never had a good job that paid much.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some seniors SS checks are very small and not enough to raise a cat on. Think people who were poor to start with and never had a good job that paid much.
Yes, even things like having to search many stores to get the groceries or meds you need becomes difficult and costs money (gas). Home care nurses/housekeepers may not be making their rounds. Lots of little inconveniences become overwhelming if you are short on resources and stamina.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the size of that check depends on your work history, your spouse's work history if they are passed, and what age you start getting benefits. Other stuff too. Details matter.

Mom also gets a nice check every month from the VA since Dad was a WW II vet. I don't know the details of that program, if it is just WW II or any war, just that Mon qualifies. We only found out about that since my oldest works for the VA and he mentioned it. That VA check has made the difference in her running out of money.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I met a lady at one of my demos and her SS check was $600 a month. She was a single mom raising three children, worked several jobs and barely got thru life. $600 a month on the west coast is like pennies in a cup. Nuthin....

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

This is true. Which is why a lot of seniors still work. Lots of seniors work at fast food restaurants. I'm sure it's not because they enjoy it. But then again, maybe they do?

Also, don't forget housewives. Lots of seniors were housewives for most of their lives so don't get much of a check at all. Usually only a portion of their husbands.

A lot of people get paid enough to just get by. Unless your working at a really good job, your social security is going to be pretty dismal.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the governor has extended the shutdown till may 8th...... like anyone is paying attention to that order..

i will commend many of our local grocery stores on their response...
will use the store here in town.. he is fully stock t.p. paper towels, eggs, milk, flour etc. <there is a limit on many items>...
back on a normal day it's busy from the time he opened till he closed.

now opens at 10 am the first hour is for seniors only...hats off to him for that.

at 11 am he only allows 15 people in at a time<no families> he has removed all the shopping carts except for 15... one person one cart.. so as one person leaves, the next person waiting in line outside <whether it's rain or shine> can come in.. he encourages everyone to wear a mask....
now closes at 6pm usually 9pm so they can clean and restock the shelf's..

congrats to his ability to serve and maintain a normalcy that other bigger stores can not....
:thumbsup

Latest posts