n95 dust masks

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my DD and SIL were on food stamps in Arkansas, it was hard to feed five mouths. One of hers, one of his and one of theirs. Both adults were in school and DD was also working online as a class helper for the university. The free breakfasts and free hot lunches gave those three kids full bellies five days a week.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
im still trying to figure out the tp and bottle water hoarding ??????

people worried about the water plants not working any more or their electricity going out and they won't have safe drinking water.

we have a well here, and running water as long as there is electricity. once the electricity goes out i have a few minutes where i can fill up some containers full of water from the faucets that is from the pressure left in the tank for the well, but once that's done there won't be any more water from the well until the power comes back on.

since we use that water for flushing the toilets too i fill up some buckets for that as long as i can. we can scoop water out of the ditches if things come to get really bad. i haven't had to do that yet. i keep some spare jugs of water and we have bleach. i can sanitize water from the ditch if i really have to but i really prefer not to do that. i'd much rather collect rainwater... kinda hope all of this is academic...

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have survived day two of the flupocalypse shopping. We are understaffed and overworked...this morning we had enough extra toilet paper and paper towels that we boxed up several pallets to ship to a bigger town that was completely out. By the time I left, we had moved everything we had and the toilet paper shelves were empty...including the extra stuff that was sent to go to another store.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw wanted to get dinner from the store....
tp aisle.. guess tissue is the new tp of choose
IMG_1214.JPG

the beans and rice.... boxed stuff was restocked since i was there...wiped clean again
IMG_1211.JPG

raman....wow they had cup of noodles in the back
IMG_1213.JPG

potatoes.....
IMG_1210.JPG

we humans are so funny.....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, one interesting thing...nobody here carries canned hams anymore. Not the big chains or the local independents. I wonder if they are still made. Maybe its a seasonal item?
Surprisingly, found some at Aldi. Their continuing presence suggests that no one knows they are there.
Oops, guess I let the cat out of the bag. :duc Already bought several myself, and have a case of canned tuna purchased on sale just before this outbreak... guess DW & I are prepared to wait it out until we return to something resembling normalcy.

On another thread, @flowerbug said:
i think a really good way to get your hands clean is to go work in the dirt in a garden.
Hmmm... there actually may be something to that. Pick up some aggressive soil microbes, and let them fight it out. Who knows; unless/until a vaccine comes out, maybe the answer to fighting the corona virus is to use a backfire concept. Get infected with something else, which interferes with subsequent infection from COVID-19. Several other viral diseases are still in circulation, including influenza (my constantly coughing coworkers are testimony to that). It would be interesting to find out how their fully active immune systems might respond.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my DD and SIL were on food stamps in Arkansas, it was hard to feed five mouths. One of hers, one of his and one of theirs. Both adults were in school and DD was also working online as a class helper for the university. The free breakfasts and free hot lunches gave those three kids full bellies five days a week.

And so the entitlement beat goes on.
If you have a kid, then it's your responsibility to take care of them. Your own schooling can wait.
People complain about the younger generations not wanting to "adult". I wonder where that came from.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
And so the entitlement beat goes on.
If you have a kid, then it's your responsibility to take care of them. Your own schooling can wait.
People complain about the younger generations not wanting to "adult". I wonder where that came from.
My daughter went to nursing school first to become a pediatric nurse. Once she finished my son in law went back to school part time while also working part time. They both decided that he was going to stop working and go to school full time for 2 years to become an engineer. He has one more year to go. Yes, they took turns going to school and also had 2 kids while going through it. Bay area is very expensive but if you work hard and are frugal you can still make it work.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Indiana is out for 3 weeks. Then spring break.....

Latest posts