n95 dust masks

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
This should be another funny thread on how residents of one state see another....& their peculiarities.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad WM did that. I was there yesterday to grocery shop. Only one of the three entrances were open, while a guy with a back pack sprayer was bleaching the carts. I thanked him. He nodded.

In the store were some families. I continually almost ran into and barely could get around: mom, two teens, two elem kids and a toddler in the cart. Why bring the entire family? The teens could watch the rest at home. The elem kid pushing the toddler in the cart was having a great time swinging the cart up and down and around the isles.

Yes, I'm now a grumpy old woman. Who is on a mission to make masks for the next week, using my hoard of thrift store fabric and the like. There has been a call for them from local municipalities.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is not a requirement down here yet but the suggestion is that only one family member go shopping if you can manage that. You explained why but for some people it could be challenging.. That will be my wife. My needs are simple and she does the menu planning. She knows what she wants and can make substitution decisions.

My wife made a few masks for us yesterday out of cloth. They are not ideal but are better than nothing. One problem with them is that when you wear them they become contaminated. If you use elastic you can't boil them to sterilize them. But how long does the virus last on them? I don't know that anyone knows for sure but if you have enough so you can let one rest a week before you wear it again the odds that it still has the virus on it is really low.

Just a thought.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
at food lion they have 4 rows of shopping carts, 3 of them have big safety cones in front of them the one row that is open there is a person who sprays the handles before you grab one...
so as the 4th row is gone they move the cone and then they start spraying the next row...that is smart.!!!!!!

just about everyone <customers> had either gloves or masks or both on.....glad to see people doing their part on curbing this sh!t.....

the shelf's are almost back to normal the frozen food section is still hit and miss.....still no flour or sugar< on the sugar i understand tis the season for certain people to start making hand sanitizer, if you get my drift>
STILL NO T.P. OR PAPER TOWELS........

good to see everyone shopping normally again..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is not a requirement down here yet but the suggestion is that only one family member go shopping if you can manage that. You explained why but for some people it could be challenging.. That will be my wife. My needs are simple and she does the menu planning. She knows what she wants and can make substitution decisions.

My wife made a few masks for us yesterday out of cloth. They are not ideal but are better than nothing. One problem with them is that when you wear them they become contaminated. If you use elastic you can't boil them to sterilize them. But how long does the virus last on them? I don't know that anyone knows for sure but if you have enough so you can let one rest a week before you wear it again the odds that it still has the virus on it is really low.

Just a thought.

they recommend if you are using homemade masks not to use bleach on them just wash in hot water with your normal laundry soap and dry on low heat or outside.... okay i can agree with that...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeed, the S.F. bay area was quick to shelter in place. Our stores quickly made Senior hours, put tape down every 6' by the registers, are allowing only a certain number of people, have stopped allowing people to bring their own bags or to bag their groceries, and have sanitizers by the door to use on cart handles. They are not charging for their bags. If you still want to bag your own they will put items in cart and you have to go outside store and bag them.

I'm stocked up but do go once a week for fresh fruits and veggies. You can be sure I'm wearing my N95 mask and going in and out as quickly as I can.

I gave up going to Walmart because staff had an attitude and didn't know where things were. Plus it did seem like there were a lot of sick people going there and not using their best hygiene.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think i've heard that soap and water works well for destroying the virus and of course rinsing it away. i found this article which at least gets at the facts i've heard so far.

IMO if you wash something in your normal laundry soapy water it will probably be ok. of course, no certainty, but that is what we've been doing so far with any gloves we've been wearing in public and if i go out i have a thick scarf like tube that i'll be wearing. i don't care what i look like (and washing it when i get home).

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some facilities are sterilizing masks with hydrogen peroxide. The method being used was to turn the peroxide into a mist using an ultrasonic humidifier, then place the masks in a chamber above it. Supposedly, this has little impact on the integrity of either mask or elastic. I'll probably do the same if push comes to shove, since I only have 10 masks, and plenty of peroxide purchased before panic set in.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I called Walmart and the garden center is open, but they still have not got in large amounts of plants. No tomato plants, a few herbs and vegetable plants. Joann still does not have elastic and solid color fabric is about sold out. If you order on line then it will take at least 2 days to pick up your order and they bring it to the curb. They said you can still come in the store, but are not honoring the sales or coupons and have great on line sales to encourage people not to come in.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
seen elsewheres

8c3EnYOm.jpg

Latest posts