Name Your Heirloom Tomatoes For This Year!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alright as of today here is the tally of heirlooms being grown on this site:

80 different varieties with the following be the most popular.

Brandywine (11)
Black Krim (8)
Purple Cherokee (7)
Amish Paste (6)
San Marzano (5)
Roma (5)
Mortgage Lifter (4)
Marglobe (3)
Rutgers (3)
Yellow Pear (3)
Black Cherry (3)
Japanese Black (2)
Brandywine OTV
Kellogg Breakfast Mountain Princess
Mountain Princess
Kellogg's Breakfast
(the last couple listed have very similar names but I am assuming that the are different varieties but I am wrong let me know.)

I was surprised because I thought there was more overlapping of varieties. Great thread vfem.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am growing

2 - Jaune Flamme
2 - Wapsipinicon Peach
3 - Carbon
3 - Black Krim
2 - Black CherryTrue
2 - Purple Calabash

A nd a pineapple one.

Dorthal

Sprout
Reaction score
Here in North Alabama, I am growing:

Cherokee Purple
Rutgers
Pink Brandywine
German Johnson or Johnson German (whichever way it goes),

I guess I'm lazy with only 4 different ones. I have no intentions of making salsa or anything. I had Rutgers and Cherokee Purple last year. Love the Cherokee Purple.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just found 6 volunteer Cherry Tomato plants out in my walkways around the garden! And some were bigger then the one's I started inside. :D

Transferred 2 of them into a large pot, and I guess I'm going to have to give the other 4 away. I just don't have room for tomatoes this year.

Though I am hinting at hubby for at least 1 more raised bed. :clap

the lemon tree

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's my first time at this site but I couldn't resist not posting about heirloom tomatoes! I'm in Zone 5(a, I think). Here's what's on the list this year:

Paul Robeson
Caspian Pink
Yellow Taxi
Pineapple
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Big Zebra
Pink Brandywine
Black from Tula
Black Prince
Cherokee Purple
Moskovitch
Black Sea Man

I'll be growing these in Earthboxes this year. Cross your fingers for me!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Lemon Tree :frow!

I'm a little jealous of zone 5 gardeners who can grow a wide variety of large heirlooms for slicers! I suppose, that there is just a very large part of the US & Canada that has zone 5 winter temperatures with just about the right summer growing conditions for tomatoes.

Arid conditions and cool nights keep me narrowly focused on early choices.

But, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you -- that looks like wonderful selection! And, just to be kind . . . will you (and others) let us know which ones ripen first in the garden.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the lemon tree said:
Hi everyone! It's my first time at this site but I couldn't resist not posting about heirloom tomatoes! I'm in Zone 5(a, I think). Here's what's on the list this year:

Paul Robeson
Caspian Pink
Yellow Taxi
Pineapple
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Big Zebra
Pink Brandywine
Black from Tula
Black Prince
Cherokee Purple
Moskovitch
Black Sea Man

I'll be growing these in Earthboxes this year. Cross your fingers for me!!
:welcome

LOVE the selection!

Makes you wonder how you ever got through on grocery store choices previously?! :/

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am adding a Mr. Stripey (the big Bonnie version) to my heirloom list, as of today. I was at a big box store (with the same initials as Harley-Davidson!) and lo, they had this variety. I was surprised because normally in our neck of the woods it's pretty much a hybrid-only zone (of course, my local store this year is carrying a lot of yellow tomatoes too, which they didn't last year).

It will round out the tomatoes nicely. Oh, and I received the rest of my heirlooms from the California nursery today, but they're going to have to spend at least 10 days in potting soil and 12oz plastic cups, while we wait for this cold, humid, wet, windy weather to blow on outta here. I hope they make it, they looked fantastic when I took them out of the Priority Mail box, fat and sassy and very green.

Right now they're under my grow light in the basement, along with my peppers and everything else that needs warm weather.

I did, however, plant the Mr. Stripey this evening as I figured it has been out in the weather for a while at the store and it seemed quite happy, it's obviously gotten acclimated. It is in the ground along with my 2 non-heirlooms, that I also got at the store.

I understand that Mr. Stripey takes forever and isn't very prolific, but that's ok, with 7 other plants (2 of whom gave us way more 'maters than we could handle *last* year) I suspect we'll be fine.

Whitewater

jab91864

Sprout
Reaction score
Well assuming my plants make it until it is safe to put out in the garden I have the following started from seed ....

cherokee purple
paul robeson
gold medal
neves azorean red **** my favorite ****
brandywine sudduth strain
black krim
mortgage lifter
san marzano paste
kellogg's breakfast
anna russian
stupice
german red strawberry
cherokee green
tidwell german
omar's lebanese
lime green salad **** my bf's favorite ****

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome jab91864, when is it safe to put your maters out? I am still waiting, May 20 is the date here.

Latest posts