New Planting Choices For 2012... What's yours?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been growing Heirloom tomatoes for the past 20+ yrs. Every year I add new to me varieties. Last year I planted over 80 different varieties, but my large garden was pretty much a bust. The ones in GH did fantastic. Some will come back to give another try. New to me Heirloom tomatoes I will be growing for 2012:

Fish Lake Oxheart, Kukla's Portuguese Paste, Kukla's Portuguese Heart, Malinovyi Rog. (pink paste), Heshpole (Lg pink heart), Olena Ukrainian (lg pink beef), Hungarian Oval, Hungarian Heart, Jersey Giant, Nile River Egyptian, Russo Sicilian Togetta, Chinese, Chico Grande, Serdetse Buivola, Vjerino Paradajiz Sjeme, Flortis Cherry.

I will update the list as I aquire more seed..

Ginny

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Detlor, I would highly recommend NOT planting morning glory. It really never goes and is horrible tenacious. Plant it where you want it ever after.

This year I am adding:
celeriac
straw flower
some strange pepper that I can't remember, but is on the way!

Hey folks, just go to the grocery store and get the potatoes you want!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted 3 blueberries in wine barrels, fall gold and heritage raspberries against the fence. I am so excited! Never eaten homegrown berries! :)

Mary

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Detlor, I would highly recommend NOT planting morning glory. It really never goes and is horrible tenacious. Plant it where you want it ever after.
Don't worry. That's why I like Morning Glory. It's low-maintenance and beautiful. And I have a perfect spot for it.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello.....I'm expanding about 15 new Dahlia varieties to my collection. I'm playing with my Tropicals alittle bit more this season.....ie: Plumerias, Tahitian Gardenias (Tiare), and my Spanish Oleander,.......going to plant alot more of my Blue Pumpkins (Jarahdale).....they love them at the Farmers Market..... I use the Pumpkins with my Dahlias for Fall arrangements at the markets......carve them out and use them as vases.....a few Fall leaves...Dahlia blooms, stems of Wheat, Pussy Willows, Bittersweet, and Cattails, and a sprig of Crap Apples makes for a nice Harvest Spectacle. Can't wait to plant!!!!!!!!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are adding melons, sweet peppers, and winter squash this year. We've never tried to grow any of these before. We'll see what happens.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
I have been growing Heirloom tomatoes for the past 20+ yrs. Every year I add new to me varieties. Last year I planted over 80 different varieties, but my large garden was pretty much a bust. The ones in GH did fantastic. Some will come back to give another try. New to me Heirloom tomatoes I will be growing for 2012:

Fish Lake Oxheart, Kukla's Portuguese Paste, Kukla's Portuguese Heart, Malinovyi Rog. (pink paste), Heshpole (Lg pink heart), Olena Ukrainian (lg pink beef), Hungarian Oval, Hungarian Heart, Jersey Giant, Nile River Egyptian, Russo Sicilian Togetta, Chinese, Chico Grande, Serdetse Buivola, Vjerino Paradajiz Sjeme, Flortis Cherry.

I will update the list as I aquire more seed..

Ginny
I have grown Hungarian Hearts the last two years. They are nice, but are huge so they kinda break down the branches. Every plant had a least one 1 1/2 lb tomato. They are great to impress the neighbors.

Where did you get your Jersey Giants? I would love to try them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try Italian roma green beans. Anything I should know?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After reading someone elses post I thought I may plant some Red Marconi peppers this year. It got enough positive reviews that I figured what the heck. Just want something different since we do plenty of stuffed peppers here. In addition to the other stuff I listed in my previous post.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I have quite a few new-to-me things I'm planting this year!

1) Luffa sponge (it's really a curcubit/squash/gourd).

2) Kohlrabi (never even eaten it, but it looks/sounds delicious).

3) Stevia.

4) Turnips.

5) Blueberries.

6) Chard.

7) Heirloom tomatoes (3 new-to-me varieties).

8) Tigger (or Tiger, depending on where you look) melons.

9) Rutabaga (just because it came in a variety pack of seeds I bought... I've never eaten this, either).

10) Nasturtiums.

We have completely torn out our entire yard & are completely relandscaping the entire thing this spring with edible plants. We put the chickens in the yard the last few months and just let them have at it, and they've been digging and eating weeds and turning soil and pooping in it for months, then we started turning the dirt over & it's becoming wonderful fertilizer now. Now the chooks are back on their own side of the yard, and we're getting ready to till again.

Latest posts