New Planting Choices For 2012... What's yours?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
cat, tell me more about that squash/pumpkin thing?? Is it hollow stemmed? Do the vine borers find it? What about squash bugs? Sounds very interesting!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Portuguese Kale" ~ Tronchuda Beira.

I grow Scotch kale every year, this will be something different. And, I don't think it will even be much like the kale I'm used to. Probably, more like collards (if'n I knew what collards is like ;)).

seedcorn said:
I'm going to try Italian roma green beans. Anything I should know?
Seedcorn, if you are uncertain about roma beans, you might want to try Greencrop instead. It isn't as tho' I've ever grown Roma beans, altho' I've bought them at the soopermarket. It's just that I like Greencrop real well - wonderful flavor!

Greencrop is sometimes listed as a Roma or "Romano" but I'm fairly certain that this is a misnomer. I once read that they have Roma in their parentage and would guess that's about right. Greencrop isn't a pole variety, tho'.

Steve

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've started seeds indoors but I am tired of the same old tomatoes at the local stores so I'm ordering seeds from Pinetree in Maine and Park Seed. Going back to my old standy-by cherry, Sweet Millions, I love them, they're so prolific and tasty! Then I'm adding a couple new tomatoes I've never tried before:

Martinos Roma, an heirloom
Costoluto Genovese, because it's a slicer claiming to be as good as a paste for sauce
Big Rainbow, 'cause it's pretty

A new pickling cuke for me, Alibi

Butta Zucchini, a new yellow one for me

Basil - Lettuce Leaf, I want to make pesto!

And though I said I wouldn't because I'm generally lousy at growing flowers from seeds (especially dianthus!) I'm getting a few varieties I've never seen before because they look cool and I'm feeling lucky!

Sunflower mix - Razzmatazz, reds and maroons
Marigold - Golden Guardian, a supposed nematode killer
Hollyhock - Happy Lights mix, yellows and pinks
Dianthus - Ideal Violet, because I WILL conquer my inability to sprout dianthus!

I better get the Park order in today, March 1st is next week!

Latest posts