New to starting plants from seed, could use some pointers

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are not gonna believe this! I just put my seedlings in my Jiffy peat pellets on Sunday, 2/12/12. Today, 2/16/12, 4 days later, 2 of the 4 broccoli plants have ALREADY sprouted! Wow! Keeping a close eye on them, making sure as many of them as possible make it all the way to transplant into the garden in 6 weeks.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I JUST watched an episode of Garden Smart where they visited a 19th century LA plantation that used really big cold frames heated with manure. Here's the link to the program, but you'll have to hunt for pictures.
http://www.gardensmart.tv/pages.php?page=episodes&subpage=2010_show03
One of Dad's tricks to start sweet potatoes was to dig a hole, maybe 3' square, maybe a foot and a bit deep, put fresh chicken manure in it, put a layer of dirt, lay a layer of sweet potatoes, then put another layer of dirt. Sweet potatoes are hot weather plants. That composting chicken manure heated things up. We always had lots of sweet potato slips.

Another benefit. He always used the same bed. Can you imagine how rich and friable that soil was after a few years with all that chicken manure composted in? It was real easy to dig out.

He did the same type of thing when planting cucumbers or squash. Chicken manure, then dirt, then the seeds. The heat helped them sprout and it composted fast enough to feed them.

He gardened in the same spot for over 50 years and it stayed productive. He did use chemical fertilizers, but a lot of manure (cow and horse mainly) went in there. We raked our leaves in there in the fall too and they were turned under in the spring.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
THAT is great advice. Do you think that fresh HORSE manure would also work? I have lots more of that, and the chicken manure is mixed with shavings.
Your advice is timely, too, for me bc THIS year DH and I finally build the coop and I can, again, use the extra horse stall for..I don't know...my horse? (He's ok--he's spending the winter in the 15'x19' off the barn shelter with a brand, new manger DH and I built.)
December2011brandnewcamerapictures102.jpg

January2012chickenstallpictures023.jpg

December2011brandnewcamerapictures010.jpg

I'm gonna (again) till all of the chicken manure from the 2 outside pens and move it to my beds. I SOO want to grow good sweet potatoes!!! They keep a long time and I make pies with them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This trick was just to get the sweet potato sprouts for transplanting to the garden, not to actually grow them in. Compost is fine in a garden, but fresh manure can lead to scab on regular potatoes. I'd think that might be true for sweet potatoes too. I would not use non-commposted manure where I was actually growing the potatoes. I don't think I was real clear on that.

We grew a lot of sweet potatoes. Usually we would eat them as the starch with the meal, but occasionally Mom would cook them up and mix them with "Irish" potatoes. Not exactly a sweet and sour, but two different colors, textures and taste. The ones we grew were white sweet potatoes, but they turned green when cooked. I was close to an adult before I realized sweet potatoes came in a red version.

She also made some sweet potato casseroles, but never a pie.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As of today, all 4 broccoli & all 4 cauliflower have sprouted in the Jiffy pellets, and others are showing signs of sprouting! Wow! That was hecka quick!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I need to start the spouts bc I'm good at digging ever since I "dug my way to China" making raised beds last year, LOL!! My DD left a sweet potato on her apartment counter a few years ago and she had a lovely houseplant for almost a year OUT of soil. Should't be too hard, but I'm glad you mentioned put in sprouts--Thanks!!

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My seedlings are stretching. I have the grow light 6 inches from the top of the pellet tray, but alllll my seedlings are leggy.

Latest posts