Newly installed Microsoft program

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we were having Comcast issues for several weeks ... seems that Comcast installed a program to " help / cure " with the issues. Then a few days later, someone installed a virus that resulted in all of the spam adds. I called my son (he took computer science in college ) and followed his directions to completely remove everything from my computer. I then installed the latest operating version from Microsoft and chrome. Works better than ever now. :celebrate

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well,for the ads you might look for Ad Block Plus. It is a free download that I have used for years. No more ads.:celebrate

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ad Blocker is not a pop up blocker. It blocks video ads also. You might check it out if ads annoy you. They certainly annoy me.
jack

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, Jack, I took your advice and installed Ad Block Plus. It's always scary for me to install anything new on the computer, for fear it will screw it up further, but drastic times call for drastic measures!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to watch those updates. Sometimes they are spoofed and not from who you think they are from. As you now know they can change things you don't want changed.
jackb

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I am getting a few pop ups to have updates for FREE. I checked one out and they did a " check for viruses " scan and found 41 that needed attention. Guess what ... for just a few $$$$$$ s they will eliminate the threats. Yea right ! :(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't ever do the "check for viruses." A friend of mine clicked on one and decided to pay for the virus check. He soon needed to bring his computer to a shop to have it fixed. A while later he did the same thing and again ended up having to get his computer fixed. In his defense this was quite a while ago before we all knew these were just scams. Apparently they place a bomb on your computer when they "fix" it requiring regular fixing and payment.

Latest posts