Northern gardens

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did you get your corn so big already? And how many square feet Are in your garden.
Are you asking me?

Corn planted 4/30 in wet sand. I use Aces variety that germinates in snow and is very vigorous. Love it for that plus it holds its sweetness into soft milk stage-when I like it. Not into blister stage like some are.

Garden is ? Not really sure as I add and subtract, then add...... vegetable garden is roughly 40’ by 80’?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exsqueeze me??? It's "y'all", not "you all". :cool: Yer sounding like Jacki Chan on Rush Hour now with that you all stuff.

The main difference between northern and southern women is we sugar coat our insults and northern women just blurt them right on out.

Northern woman: "You're an idiot."

Southern woman: "Bless yer little heart!"

Mid-Westerner, "Bless your little idiot heart? Would you like some hot dish with that?"

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn this is for you
36511523_10155809120209958_4947874531982180352_n.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well...it's not as impressive as Seed's or even Mary's, but it's all I have, so here goes...my messy "In the Middle" garden.

This is my son's tiny front yard garden, which I plant and tend for him. That's a double row of Red Pontiacs in the middle, with some peppers, watermelon, squash, onions, chives, beans and flowers that aren't big enough to make a good show yet.

100_0779.JPG

This is the back half of my garden...can't get it all in the frame. Pumpkins, spuds, peppers, squash of various kinds, matoes, cukes, beans, raspberries, garlic, chives, strawberries, herbs, greens in the low tunnels...can't see the other one but I currently have two, will add two more soon..then flowers, rhubarb. Got some spuds planted in that old commode too, just for kicks and grins.

100_0758.JPG

These are Aundrey II~my Rouge pumpkins...just two plants, but they are taking over the garden. Beside them are spuds in a haybale raised bed, peppers planted directly into those bales all around the spuds.
100_0764.JPG
100_0767.JPG

More peppers, both hot and sweet, a couple of yellow squash in the middle...that was a mistake, as far as spacing goes, but too late now. I've trimmed back the squash so the peppers can get light. Been pinching off all the blooms on the peppers until they got bigger, but now will let them make fruit. Flash, my garden kitty. In the background you can see a couple of my compost rings around the apple trees, those are planted to spuds. Not pictured are various flower beds around the house.
100_0771.JPG

Left hand hay bale raised bed has sweet onions, purple top turnips, carrots and has peppers, watermelon, petunias, a big ol' Brandywine and a butternut squash planted in the bales around it. The right side of that arch has cukes and a sweet one million tomato planted in the bales.

All the upright CP trellises have maters, half runner beans, and cukes planted on them~there are three of those, each 8 ft. long. Have two raspberry plants you can't see in this pic but they are producing very well for their first year of production. Another bed of sweet onions over there somewhere too.

Still have a lot of open areas left in the garden, but I'm preserving those so I can place two more low tunnels for the planting of greens for a winter harvest. Will likely plant those around the first of August.

No corn, not enough space to grow enough to matter. Usually buy that from the local farm stand for canning up.