Northern gardens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No hail here!

Temperatures in the 40’s this morning and yesterday! I think that we are finished with that nonsense for awhile ...

2F2373FC-6F2F-4CE8-AE95-D0E692F20676.jpeg

Probably Sungold. I ate the one Sun Sugar tomato from the backyard so these are from the garden, where I am already having trouble finding plant tags and have to rely more on appearance ;). Ate the ripest one of these, too!

I wanted a shot of the first planting of corn but decided that the corn will be there for another day, having forgotten "knee-high by the 4th of July." That's probably about where it is.

The cucumbers ... @flowerbug is making pickles and my cucumber plants couldn't be much further from producing! Well, not unless they were my melon plants ...

Steve ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky for me height-unless pigmy short-has nothing to do with yield.... the later and thicker you plant corn, the taller it gets. Plus Iowa and Illinois have the asset of top soil which we just dream of...

Did anyone get hit with the hail that SD & Nebraska got? Saw pix of 6’ tall corn, now 1’ tall and will soon be dead as it green snapped.
We have been missed by the big dangerous storms. But rivers are up do to heavy rains north and west of us.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
6C8241EF-6A23-4B57-9ABE-6ACCC0CA77E1.jpeg
Some of the cabbage and they have been doing well, as their leaves fill the width of the bed and begin to curl.

We will see how they handle heat, now that we are into July. I will also need to crawl around them to see what aphids might be tormenting the plants. The tree aphids are having a stellar year. Maybe there will be a ladybug population explosion!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those big fields of tall corn aren't for eating, I think. That corn may end up in your gas tank. They have different growth habits, so may make a patch of Bodacious or Incredible look puny, but they are all just following their genes.

Latest posts