Northern gardens

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee love your sons front porch, with white rails a classic. I want a front porch :love:love:love:love

It's a tiny little thing, but everything on it is something I've put there...just finished painting the floor, the door, and repainting the old wicker furniture(got both pieces at GW for $38), got that basket at GW for a buck and painted it to go with furniture. Also put up the trellising and planted his pink honeysuckle(sale at Lowe's for $2.50) and the Jackmanii clematis(a portion of one we've owned for about 21 yrs now). I even bought that shoe tray! :gig

I have this thing about porches...I think they should look great, as they are the first impression anyone has of your house. My son and his wife could care less how it looks, so it's turned into my thing.

100_0717.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
what happens up here is that the porch that used to be a porch often gets enclosed with screens to keep the skeeters away, then people realize that they can have a tv out there and a fridge and ... eventually they just turn it into another room of the house. except it has worse insulation and no plumbling... like camping, except it's just out front.

all of this is humor, i'm not being too serious...... :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Not sure why you don’t think your garden isn’t impressive. Looks well kept and plenty to eat to me.

Love it when garden is part of landscaping and yard vs just a spot in

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
still figuring out why 95% of non southerners dont post photos of their gardens...

We respect your feelings. It's common knowledge southerners wear their hearts on their sleeve.

The main difference between northern and southern women is we sugar coat our insults and northern women just blurt them right on out.

I guess that makes me a pedigreed north western woman, haha.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
what happens up here is that the porch that used to be a porch often gets enclosed with screens to keep the skeeters away, then people realize that they can have a tv out there and a fridge and ... eventually they just turn it into another room of the house. except it has worse insulation and no plumbling... like camping, except it's just out front.

all of this is humor, i'm not being too serious...... :)
Your 100% right. A friend moved into a old house, she complained the front room was always cold. I said it was never meant to be inside part of the house, it is a outside porch thats been enclosed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
p.s. corn here up further north than Seedcorn is 6ft or more already.
Yep, well over head high and beginning to tassel. Here is a photo of a friends husband standing in front of the corn taken this a.m. so much for knee high by the 4th of July. (Ron is just shy of 6 feet tall!)
36606395_10212848131423460_9110331723144495104_n.jpg

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky for me height-unless pigmy short-has nothing to do with yield.... the later and thicker you plant corn, the taller it gets. Plus Iowa and Illinois have the asset of top soil which we just dream of...

Did anyone get hit with the hail that SD & Nebraska got? Saw pix of 6’ tall corn, now 1’ tall and will soon be dead as it green snapped.

Latest posts