catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
2018 garden.jpg
That's better.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @catjac1975 , how come your Walla Walla are bigger than my Walla Walla?

;) Lots of things that I don't understand about plants. If daylength is supposed to trigger bulbing, why would bulbing be more advanced in a southern location? I think that there is more to it than daylength (... and hope a recent 2nd application of fertilizer helps my onions catch up :)).

Your beets look better also but mine had such poor germination, I'd better just take what I can get. Chard had poor germination for a 2nd year, as well. Disappointing since I so recently learned that I like the Verde da Taglio variety of chard.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @catjac1975 , how come your Walla Walla are bigger than my Walla Walla?

;) Lots of things that I don't understand about plants. If daylength is supposed to trigger bulbing, why would bulbing be more advanced in a southern location? I think that there is more to it than daylength (... and hope a recent 2nd application of fertilizer helps my onions catch up :)).

Your beets look better also but mine had such poor germination, I'd better just take what I can get. Chard had poor germination for a 2nd year, as well. Disappointing since I so recently learned that I like the Verde da Taglio variety of chard.

Steve
So.... my onions are bigger...heh heh heh!!!!!I was looking for my seed order in my e-mail and could not find it. I am not sure about the southern location question. I read about short day and long day onions when I first started growing my onions from seed instead of buying plants or sets. I always found buying plants expensive. Onions are after all pretty cheap to buy in the store. Anyway all I remember was the north was supposed to grow long day onions. Since growing my own plants I have had great luck. I start then in Sept. or Oct. and grow them all winter in my green house. They are easy to grow and easy to care for. Just watered and may have added a bit of fish emulsion fertilizer. They were pretty tiny, smaller than a pea, when I put them out in spring.The big deal with onions is keeping them weed free. I always grow them and mulch with grass clippings. They usually still need a bit of weeding. I added strips of cardboard in the planting under the clippings and the need for weeding has been greatly reduced. Besides good soil I think keeping weed free is the most important thing with onions. Same with carrots and beets.I always had terrible beet germination until I started soaking them overnight before planting. What a difference. I always way over plant carrots and beet seeds. The aroma when you pick the onions is a thing of beauty. Soooo mine are bigger.

Latest posts