Not Sure if True, But Interesting

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is something I picked up from I don't know where, but it makes sense to me.
Marijuana plants differ in the amounts they produce of whatever it is that is beneficial (specifics seem to elude me :hide) so the best way to take it medicinally would be in a standardized form so you know how much you're getting of that substance.

That is so very true. You pay more for the "good stuff". Also a lot of variables in how it is grown, processed and stored. Just like with your cooking herbs, potency can be lost. They would have to standardize it. If there is enough profit in it, I'm sure they will just isolate the THC and put it in pill form (if they haven't already?) I figure most people would chose just to buy it and smoke it because it would be cheaper then. And perhaps for the fun of it.

Here's a bit on the cannabis oil and its intended uses.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smoking it could cause cancer, besides. What I had heard about in regards to brain cancer was taking it in the form of an oil. I will have to poke around and see if I can find more information. They have a whole FB group devoted to cannabis oil and brain cancer...with over 4000 people. I'd join just to find out more, but it has a pot leaf on the header and I don't want my friends to see that on mine. I did smoke pot as a teenager. Sure wouldn't want them to think I've regressed, ha. :p

I would agree that it is a gateway drug. Maybe even going back to cigs before that. I wasted a lot of money and my educational potential on the stuff. I can't imagine anything good coming out of legalizing it for recreational use. Sure they will unclog the court system, but they will pay it out elsewhere. I think the real motive for that would be to keep the masses in a stupor so they don't know what is going on in the world. Same as alcohol, imo.

ETA: I am uncertain on its use as medicine. Do they not have something else available that will help with poor appetite? When people think herbs, they think natural, but many fail to realize it's all chemicals and most things will have other side effects and reactions too. My dad is wanting to try the Essiac tea and I did buy him some. It makes him feel a little better to think that he has some control over his care, but I told him I would not let him have it until he is done with his chemo. It has burdock in it, which will flush toxins, but may also flush out his chemo. And right now, chemo and radiation are the best tested and proven treatment for this cancer. Also, the oxalic acid in the rhubarb root and sheep sorrel can aggravate kidney stones in some people. I use herbal medicine myself, but it is so important to understand that these things have chemical properties too.

Nearly all medicines have their beginnings in plant, or animal origins. Most they have been able to duplicate the active parts and synthesize or make w/o the original plant or animal. The marijuana plant does have medicinal properties like many, many others. Our western society has villanized the plant to outrageous proportions. If someone says they "take it for medicinal reasons" but smoke it they are full of crap (imho). Smoking it produces the most negative side effects w/ the least LASTING medicinal help. Pills, oils, even outright eating it has more medicinal effects. Yes there are other medicines that treat the same problems, however not all medicines work on all people for all conditions.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't really know about the real benefits of mj.
I DO know that marijuana stays in your system for up to 30 days, because police departments take drug tests.
I also know that I DON'T want to be on the road with somebody driving stoned. They are at least, if not MORE judgement impaired.
If somebody uses it, I WANT them to get a designated driver.

KarenPolk

Sprout
Reaction score
I have a friend with Lupus and has infusions every 4 weeks. It's like a chemo cocktail along with her regular meds that is intravenous. She tried cannabis and all it did was knock her out so she stopped. This past week was a rough one for her. She's had lupus for 10 years and she said she's gotten used to the up and down of feeling sick and feeling somewhat ok. What she finds so frustrating is that people see the outside and think she looks and feels great but they don't see the inside and how sick she feels.

Mary
And "they" don't realize how limited we are in what we can and cannot do. For example, the simple act of showering and getting dressed may take up to 25% of our daily allotment of energy for the day. Sometimes I literally have to lay down for 30 minutes before being able to blow dry my hair. And another thing about Lupus is how we hate to hear the phrase, "Oh, you look like you feel much better today." No, really we probably do NOT feel better, but that doesn't mean that we can't smile at you. Watch us closely and see the grimace on our faces as we try to sit or stand. We may not cry out in pain, but look closely at us and you'll read the pain on our faces. I've actually had someone tell me that if I'd lose weight, I wouldn't have Lupus. Stupid lady, the Lupus meds that are keeping me alive are what's making me gain weight.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@KarenPolk is one of your meds Paquenil, that's what I was on for a couple of years but I quit taking it, the side effect were just to awful. I don't have Lupus as bad as some do but when I have a flair I'm pretty much incapacitated. At times just getting up and down out of a chair is just plain agony, but I'm lucky I guess as I have a lot of good spells in between flair ups. I have a blood test every 6 months to see where I'm at with it. Being a gardener and having to stay out of the sun between 10 and 4 limits how much I can get done :(, but I keep trucking along.
I was finally diagnosed about 15 years ago when my GP retired and the young doctor who took over his practice actually listened to my complaining about all the weird issues I've had over most of my adult life, at the time I was coming down with Bell's Palsy for the second time. He said I want to do a couple of tests, I'll phone when I get the results. When he phoned he said I've got good and bad news for you the good news is you don't have Lyme disease but you do have Lupus and from what you have told me I think you have had it for a very long time. So Karen I know exactly what you are having to deal with, sending you a big hug. Chin up and keep on trucking that's about all we can do.

Annette

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight and @KarenPolk I have a friend with Lupus I let her dictate what she wants to do and the duration. The sweetheart always wears a smile (but you can tell she is in near constant pain.) She retired early so she and her DH could do the traveling they had planned while she was able to still get around fairly well. My heart breaks for her. And yes the meds have caused her to gain weight. She was rail thin in H.S. and early 20's. We are nearing 60 and I believe she has been dealing with this for nearly 1/2 her life. GENTLE Hugs and wishes for good days to both of you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
At times just getting up and down out of a chair is just plain agony ... Chin up and keep on trucking that's about all we can do.

Annette

I had a recent thought after I'd spent an hour or so in the lazyboy - standing up felt like an accomplishment ... About 90 minutes in that thing is an absolute maximum, I've discovered :\.

Once upright, gravity can help. Have you ever thought what an advantage bipedalism is?! We essentially "lean" into walking. This is why a healthy hunter-gatherer can actually walk down any quadruped. The trick is keeping the fleet of foot antelope in sight and applying continuing pressure. It may take days of tracking but the human wins.

I can't lean too much into movement because I'm dragging one foot and don't have all that much strength in the other leg. I blame the rheumatoid arthritis for all of this. Blame it for my hearing loss, too.

I figure I'm entitled to blame it. I put up with enuf nonsense during the flare ups.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Homoerectus.jpg

Latest posts