Not Sure if True, But Interesting

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kind of they stopped ticketing people that have under a certain amount. Unless you had large amount or where dealing, you diidn't get arrested but ticketed with court date, you would have to go before judge and he would set fine. Now they don't even do that. Dealing is another matter.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
NH is working on it but so far only for medicinal purposes. my home town now has a legal growing operation not too far from my parents' home. there was an article in the local paper today talking about how secure it is & how you wouldn't know it if you walked up to it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi is hi.... Only good thing about pot, when hi, they become immovable. Drunks all seem to want to drive or fight.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm against it.

I'm against anything that is debilitating but being against it doesn't mean I think it's wonderful to clutter up our courts and jails with users.

I'm against cigarettes, heavy drinking, obsessive behavior, etc. But, because legislating morality doesn't seem to work, I may not be doing much more than shaking my head and maybe my digit ... trying to set a better example may or may not be working, if no one notices.

For young people, and everyone, there are actions that make life more seriously unsafe and requires locking a person away from others. I wish a meaningful existence for everyone. Idleness and debilitation don't really have a role in that.

Kids. I think it sometimes just comes down to "I can play with fire because I'm grown up." To that I would say, "Grow up! And, learn how to take care of yourself properly, in good health. Boring? That's because you are too ignorant of Life."

Using a substance that can damage because it eases a way through existing damage and ill health? That's reasonable, although there may be more benign medications. It would be cruel to deny someone struggling with severe illness a help, from whatever source.

Lupus is an inflammatory illness. I don't know about any help from pot. I know about pot and my rheumatoid arthritis. It doesn't help! I understand "all it did was knock her out." Actually, for me to be knocked out and "immovable" -- that is just a recipe for more pain and worsening condition.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a delicate topic. We all have our opinions and some of them can be strong. A bit of an explanation of where I'm coming from. I was a teenager in the 60's when pot use exploded. During my tour in the army 80% (16 out of 20) of the soldiers in my barracks smoked pot on a regular basis. I was in the 20%. I never smoked pot while I was there. While we were not in a combat zone I sometimes thought that I'd have to really depend on these people if we were in combat. I was OK with that. Most were able to function and do their jobs quite well the next day, like most of the people that maybe drank a bit too much alcohol could function well the next day. There were a few that were so dependent on having a toke that I would not want to be anywhere around them but most were OK. I noticed much the same in college and when I entered the work force. Many could function fine but some were addicted. That background is what I'm basing my opinion on.

I have no problems with medical marijuana for people that are suffering, much like the prescription opiates that can be much more addicting and damaging. You can find doctors that overprescribe those too but at least there is an attempt to control it. I'm not convinced marijuana has to be smoked to be effective. I'm thinking of a certain woman with terminal cancer that got huge relief from pills smuggled in from Canada. Those pills eased her suffering a lot but someone took a big risk smuggling them in.

What I do object to is people trying to get medical marijuana passed just so they can easily toke up with a huge likelihood of never receiving any punishment and really having no controls on it. They are riding compassion for people that can really be helped just so they can have a toke. They are making it harder to pass laws so people that can get relief with pot to receive it. That does not show high moral character to me. Highly conservative right-wing Arkansas almost passed a medical marijuana law like that last election. I fully expect there to be another one with better controls on the ballot this fall and I expect it to pass. I might even vote for it, but the version that will be on the ballot is not finalized yet. I want to read it before I decide how I will vote.

Prohibition did not work with alcohol, it is not working for pot. What I'd really like to see is pot legalized but with much the same controls as alcohol. Some people will abuse it just like they abuse alcohol. Teenagers especially will be vulnerable, they always are. When they see classmates using but still being able to function they tend to not take the warnings seriously. Change those warnings from using to abusing. It still won't be that effective but I think it is more realistic, more honest. Put an age limit, but still, the kids especially will be vulnerable.

Just like with alcohol most people will be able to function the next day fine, put limits but why criminalize them? Tax it but do not tax it so high that marijuana is still profitable to the drug cartels and gangs. Take that profit away from them. They'll still make plenty of money off the other drugs to buy all the bullets they need, it won't put them out of business, but maybe they will scale back a bit.

This opinion does not transfer to harder drugs. I think they just do too much damage to make them legal, though some of them like opiates are legal now with a prescription in some versions. I still do not smoke pot but I do enjoy an adult beverage occasionally. It's been a long time since I was over the legal limit but I still don't drive even after one drink. If I have a drink my wife doesn't. If she has a drink I don't. It can be controlled.

So that's my opinion. I imagine quite controversial to some.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here in Canada we are on the brink of legalizing marijuana for recreational use :(, do I think it's a good idea, NO. All it's going to do is take the criminal element out of it and cause so many, many, more problems in our troubled society. On the other hand the government is rubbing it's hands together on all the tax money it's going to bring in, they can piss so much more down the toilet.

IMHO it's a gateway drug, I have never smoked it or will I, I have had friends who do but it never even entered my mind to even try it myself, I'm a person who likes to keep a clear head at all times. I have no problem with medical marijuana but I think it should dispensed through a pharmacy with a doctor's prescription like any other drug, not through the local corner pot shop, where you go in to get your fix for that (tongue in cheek) splinter you have in your finger.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, I've dealt with many illnesses in my life including lupus and cancer without using anything other then what was prescribed by my doctor. I don't have to either get stoned or drink to relax or have a good time, not saying I don't have an occasional drink but one's about my limit, not so when I was a teenager, the saying goes kids should be buried when they turn 12 and dug up when 21, I so agree. It's around then common sense seemed to filter through our "I'm invincible" minds, well it did for most of us.

Society (at least around here) as a whole has become so weak willed, always somebody else's fault, take no responsibility for one's actions society, it's down right scary and pot is going to make things better? I don't think so. There's going to be a lot more impaired drivers on the road for one thing and before I forget, the smell of that stuff, it really stinks.

Annette

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The "legalizing" of it, or the morality of it, or the "opinions" about it either way, isn't what the original meme was about. The original meme isn't "opinion" it is dangerous BS.

Cancer isn't one disease it is hundreds or thousands of diseases that fracture exponentially into many, many more in how they (cancer diseases) respond and react in the individuals that have it.

As has been stated cannabis does not cure ANYTHING least of all cancer. In some people it can help some s/sx such as nausea, vomiting, appetite, and in some people help w/ seizure control. Others have little to no response to it, and others are negatively affected by it.

There is not now, there will NEVER be a cure all for cancer, not one fruit, weed, salve, antioxidant, medication, chemotherapy, surgery, alien from outer space. Cancer is many complicated diseases w/ many different treatment modalities.

These memes agitate the beegeeses out of me b/c they try and simplify (not in a good way) a very complicated medical problem. They make gullible people believe they can be helped by ineffectual txs and ignore or postpone real viable txs that can help, just b/c they aren't as appealing. If I am facing surgery, chemotherapy (and it's unpleasant side effects), hairloss, and months of sickness etc... but an "expert" or someone who knows someone that had an aunt who had a friend who knew someone that was cured from CA by smoking a couple of joints a day for several months (or drinking a fruit juice, or taking a vitamin etc...) first of all shame on me for being so gullible, but secondly shame on you (the ones proporting such stupidity usually for your own gain).

And FYI, a couple of weeks ago I transported to the ER a pt who was negatively affected by smoking weed, made her very ill (and not the first time) requiring medical interventions in the form of western (chemical) medications.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smoking it could cause cancer, besides. What I had heard about in regards to brain cancer was taking it in the form of an oil. I will have to poke around and see if I can find more information. They have a whole FB group devoted to cannabis oil and brain cancer...with over 4000 people. I'd join just to find out more, but it has a pot leaf on the header and I don't want my friends to see that on mine. I did smoke pot as a teenager. Sure wouldn't want them to think I've regressed, ha. :p

I would agree that it is a gateway drug. Maybe even going back to cigs before that. I wasted a lot of money and my educational potential on the stuff. I can't imagine anything good coming out of legalizing it for recreational use. Sure they will unclog the court system, but they will pay it out elsewhere. I think the real motive for that would be to keep the masses in a stupor so they don't know what is going on in the world. Same as alcohol, imo.

ETA: I am uncertain on its use as medicine. Do they not have something else available that will help with poor appetite? When people think herbs, they think natural, but many fail to realize it's all chemicals and most things will have other side effects and reactions too. My dad is wanting to try the Essiac tea and I did buy him some. It makes him feel a little better to think that he has some control over his care, but I told him I would not let him have it until he is done with his chemo. It has burdock in it, which will flush toxins, but may also flush out his chemo. And right now, chemo and radiation are the best tested and proven treatment for this cancer. Also, the oxalic acid in the rhubarb root and sheep sorrel can aggravate kidney stones in some people. I use herbal medicine myself, but it is so important to understand that these things have chemical properties too.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is something I picked up from I don't know where, but it makes sense to me.
Marijuana plants differ in the amounts they produce of whatever it is that is beneficial (specifics seem to elude me :hide) so the best way to take it medicinally would be in a standardized form so you know how much you're getting of that substance.