On a losing streak this year.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think most remember earlier this year I injured my back working on a custom home site.Then I dropped a log on my foot and busting up my toes. Welp Tuesday I topped both of those. I had to climb up on a dump truck to fix the automatic tarp. Well I stood up on headache rack took one step backward into empty space. Landed flat on my back pretty hard ,my right arm was under me it broke the radius bone and may have damaged some small bones in wrist. One positive is it fixed my back, it hasn’t felt this good in years. It is amazing how much you depend on your dominant hand until it is unusable. The arm is restrained at 90 degrees at elbow and basically need help with everything even putting on shoes and buttoning shirt and pants. Going to work tomorrow is going to be a challenge no doubt. I have had more accidents this year than I had in the previous 30 years. As far as injuries go this one is a real doozy. I still have many projects to do around the house before the snow flies, so I hope they change up the cast situation in the next 2 weeks to free it up a little. I really hate to complain but this is getting ridiculous. This year can’t get over quick enough for me. Close this on a high note though, we are going to Thomas’s Christening this morning. Gotta get going or will be late. Happy gardening all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think most remember earlier this year I injured my back working on a custom home site.Then I dropped a log on my foot and busting up my toes. Welp Tuesday I topped both of those. I had to climb up on a dump truck to fix the automatic tarp. Well I stood up on headache rack took one step backward into empty space. Landed flat on my back pretty hard ,my right arm was under me it broke the radius bone and may have damaged some small bones in wrist. One positive is it fixed my back, it hasn’t felt this good in years. It is amazing how much you depend on your dominant hand until it is unusable. The arm is restrained at 90 degrees at elbow and basically need help with everything even putting on shoes and buttoning shirt and pants. Going to work tomorrow is going to be a challenge no doubt. I have had more accidents this year than I had in the previous 30 years. As far as injuries go this one is a real doozy. I still have many projects to do around the house before the snow flies, so I hope they change up the cast situation in the next 2 weeks to free it up a little. I really hate to complain but this is getting ridiculous. This year can’t get over quick enough for me. Close this on a high note though, we are going to Thomas’s Christening this morning. Gotta get going or will be late. Happy gardening all.
I am a physically hard working person. Not nearly at your level of course. You suffer from the same disease as I do. I call it , 25 on the inside. All of these accidents are likely because you have not taken note of time passing on your body. Slow down a bit. Well.....I guess you have to for a while. Get better and take a breather.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no margin for error when climbing up on a truck. I guess you found that out. Glad that your back feels better, but you sure did THAT the hard way. My husband went nuts while he recovered from open heart surgery, knee and shoulder replacement. The "you can't do this" drove him up the wall. I suppose the restrictions on what you can and cannot do will drive you slap crazy too.

What @catjac1975 said about the 25 on the inside makes sense to me! Now I know what to call it! LOL LOL

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Collector, glad you can type! Why do you suppose you're having so many accidents? Do you need to slow down in what you are doing? Be careful.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

you and me seem to be on similar tracks this season. sort of. messed up my arm this spring, lower back about two months ago, last sunday pulled achilles tendon. this has been my least productive summer since i broke my shoulder blade in the motorcycle wipe out. i will say though that when i walked out of the emergency room that day i was on some pain killer shot plus that hard landing on the packed gravel side of the road knocked every kink out of my back i had. whiplashed right over and stretched out flat like the crack of a whip.

i'm very fed up and frustrated beyond belief. if i could chew my arm and leg off and have them regrow i'd do that. i hate being laid up and not working as i'd wish.

all the more i can say is hang in there and know that next year can be better, but you might just want to not make anything chronic by reinjuring it because then it turns into years of BS instead of just a season.

:hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Shoot, the year should not have played out this way, Collector. You have the grandson to celebrate but you better find a lucky rock to carry in your pocket!

Feeling olde? I used to think how could I not feel old if I have to be so careful about how I move around. I was once asked by a nurse how many times do I fall down. I thought it was at least twice a month -- decided to be honest and say about 30/year.

Oops! Got a nice lecture ... thought that I just have to be slower. Now: Figure I fall about 3/year. Howsomeever! It isn't just being slower and more careful about where I put my feet. It's a progressive "thing." It isn't just the one (or several) physical problem from several years ago. More problems can be added. The task is to stay as mobile as possible, despite. In spite ... spitefully!

Did you know, "geek" has gone from bad to good. Geeks were originally "fools" in carnivals. The sense of an extreme obsession became a positive. Let's geek-out on self-care.

Steve :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Collector! I'm glad that it wasn't more serious than that, although that's plenty bad enough.

Maybe you need to listen to your wife more? ;)

I hope you heal quickly, try to stay out of trouble.

Latest posts