One thing people don't usually know.

secuono

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Why do the sites keep getting abandon?
He gave up, realized its not working well enough, money?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do the sites keep getting abandon?
He gave up, realized its not working well enough, money?

he's not the owner of either site.

i don't know the full details on the smaller site out in the middle of nowhere, but he was paid to do the initial designs as a consultant and i think he went back a few years later and they were not following his instructions on how to manage the site. the other part of why that one was likely abandoned is that they stopped having the backpressure extra water from the well available so they weren't able to keep irrigating the areas where they were growing crops for cash. so i would guess that without getting an immediate return enough for them plus not wanting to put in or keep a well just for that little site they let it go. still it is there, there are plants growing, so they're established and providing habitat and shade to the surrounding space.

the larger site i just haven't seen any information on how that was installed or if they are maintaining it or just letting it go back to whatever happens.

the problem with the videos they've posted on the sites they don't give a wide enough shot of the whole thing so you're not sure which site they're at (the smaller one or the larger).

i'd like a lot more information on both sites but there's scarce to be found that is recent. the one more recent video i did find was posted years ago and i can't determine if it is the smaller or larger site.

the site he does own is doing pretty well and is covered and growing. it makes a lot of difference when you can have enough people visit and provide water, fertilizer and labor. previous to this site they had another and what some people called the original Greening the Desert site but they did not own it or have control over what happened to it. the people who were maintaining it were not following the design plan - the basics of permaculture in an arid climate doesn't involve burning any field debris as long as the native plants or annuals don't need it it is a very wasteful practice. instead all that organic material should be used as mulch and windbreaks and shading the ground.

i'd love to visit all these places and check them out. :) it's all interesting to me. just yesterday i was looking at a video of restoration plantings done in the dried out bed of the southern part of the Aral Sea (that used to be there but has since been dried up and turned into some areas of salt flats which they want to stablize to keep the pollution from blowing around). it's another pretty arid climate but they have been able to get some plants growing and seeded some grasses and wildlife has started using these small patches as places to live. as soon as you can get some wildlife activities that is a good sign that the area can support life and diversity often improves from there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
here are other sites that i follow through the years - all interesting because they are in different places and are of different ages.

Sadhana Forest in Haiti:

the Haiti site shows that the problem in that whole area is not the climate or lack of rain, but the lack of topsoil retention and the destruction of what used to be rainforest. restoring the area by planting trees and using basic permaculture techniques has made a clearly seen difference.

SF India (i think this is the oldest place they started):

SF Kenya (the newest site):

within a few years they've got the area fenced off and you can see the difference in ground cover already. the classic arid climate issue of over grazing is visible even to a satellite pic.

Latest posts