Only IN NY

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This seems as good a place as any to ask you chefs about my salad dressing. I love honey mustard dressing but not the stuff from the store because I am trying to avoid soybean oil and weird additives.

So I've been making my own using avocado oil, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and honey, with pepper, minced garlic and parmesan cheese.

It is kind of thin, and the only thing I can think of to thicken it is mayo, which I don't want to use for the same reason. Is there any thing else I can use to add thickness and mellow it out?
I have bought Sir Kensington's mayo before, but haven't been to the health food store lately.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This seems as good a place as any to ask you chefs about my salad dressing. I love honey mustard dressing but not the stuff from the store because I am trying to avoid soybean oil and weird additives.

So I've been making my own using avocado oil, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and honey, with pepper, minced garlic and parmesan cheese.

It is kind of thin, and the only thing I can think of to thicken it is mayo, which I don't want to use for the same reason. Is there any thing else I can use to add thickness and mellow it out?
I have bought Sir Kensington's mayo before, but haven't been to the health food store lately.

What does Avocado oil do if you put it in the fridge, OO solidifies so if it does too make your dressing ahead of time and leave in fridge in a lidded container until serving, give it a good shake and dress your salad it should hold up for a short time.
Thinking outside the box... ahead of time add a bit of cornstarch to the vinegar heat until thickened, cool and then make your dressing. I just might try this myself :).

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about egg yolk?

A few years ago, DW and I played around a little with different starches. I was kinda curious about all that are available.

How about a starch that might be used in a soup? Cornstarch, yes but there is also potato starch. We used tapioca starch. I don't think I realized that tapioca starch is used in savory things like soups.

Recently, I have been curious about Greek yogurt as a substitute for cheese, sour cream, milk, etc. How about Greek yogurt in your salad dressing?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
(dang mouse is acting up again... disregard my multiple liking of things...)

for some reason greek yogurt isn't popular with us, the only time i use it is when i want tsatziki sauce and don't want to wait for regular yougurt to drain off enough. we don't buy it, but go through several gallons of whole milk yogurt a month.

i'm not sure on the tapioca starch if that needs to be cooked before it thickens cold things and also acidic things may interfere with thickening with some starches. at least with corn starch it doesn't seem to matter if cooked.

my suggestion of strawberries and mustard for a sauce or bbq is one of my favorite combinations for something different because i can't do much ketchup/tomato sauces any longer. i love sweet and sour combinations and that one works out well for my tastes.

i don't really mind if something is thin as long as there is the flavor and enough of it sticks. vinegar and oil dressings often hold enough flavor/spices that it doesn't matter if they're thin. so i guess my recommendation for them would be to add more spices so more of it sticks and call it good enough.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The avocado oil stays thin in the fridge. I might try the cornstarch or the Greek yogurt. I never think about using yogurt for anything but eating.
I have made mayo before, but it always says to use within a couple of days, when there is fresh egg in it. But heck, I like to walk on the wild side, so maybe I'll experiment a bit. Make a honey mustard mayo, maybe.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky if you like a sweet dressing try fig oil. I picked it up in a shop just of flavored oils a little bit goes a long way so bottle lasts forever

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may try that. I like a sweet/sour or sweet/hot combination. It is hard to fathom a shop that only sells oils. We don't even have much of a health food store here. Not for fresh stuff, anyway.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky more and more of these type stores are closing . people are doing their shopping online. Free shipping and large section drawing in customers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like online shopping. I can type in what I want, open a dozen tabs, compare quality and pricing, buy and have it in a few days. OR I can drive to Tyler, look at a bunch of stores, spend all day looking for my best deal, waste time and gas money and finally make a purchase. I do go shopping in person, but I have never been what I call Professional Shoppers. I do not shop for something to do, I have plenty to do, better things than wandering around in stores all day looking at a bunch of stuff I'm not even going to buy.

Latest posts