Painted plywood floor

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert

painted-plywood-floors.jpg

Photo: JProvey

For our newly renovated attic, we’d wanted solid wood flooring, but that idea, it turned out, wasn’t practical: The attic floor is out of level—so much so that it’s actually wavy. Back to the drawing board we went. Laminates were out of the running, because we feared ending up with the spongy feel common to many floating floors. Other materials merited consideration, but wall-to-wall carpeting seemed like the answer.

It wasn’t long into our search before we realized that nice carpet costs a lot. In perusing hundreds of samples, we compared weights, studied density, thought about textures, scrutinized colors, examined backings, puzzled over padding, and became really confused by the sheer variety of fiber types out there. Plus, we found it nearly impossible to compare sellers accurately, because different companies have different pricing schemes.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/painted-plywood-floors/#.Vt_CnUJVK1E

It can be made to look good! Lift the rug somewhere to see if you have plywood or pressed wood.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Why not just clear coat (or paint) the bejeebers out of the OSB? I've seen it done, and it looks nice. :) I don't even think they sanded it much (the glue is not something I'd want to create suspended particles of, so if you do a light sand to knock the fuzz off, wear a mask).

Check out a gazillion photos of fancy houses with OSB floors: http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/osb-flooring

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've thought about that - and I've seen some of the pictures - very pretty.. sorta looks a little like parquet(sp?).
Once the carpet is up and I see what's underneath, I'll decide. But I'm suspecting that since many of the things that have stained the carpet were 'wet' I'm going to find some stains on the subfloor too.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Take it from a guy who just remodeled a mobile home. The floor will not be OSB. It will probably be pressed particle board. It may or may not take paint well, and will most definitely need to be primed first. If you're planning on overlaying with plywood, I would seriously recommend against it. For the cost of even 1/4" plywood overlay and then the paint, you could re-carpet the place. Also, overlaying with plywood changes the elevation of everything. You either have to take everything out of the room (cabinets, toilets, etc) or cut in around it. Also keep in mind your door clearances. Will they need to be trimmed?
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but just making sure you are aware of the pitfalls and the enormous amount of work involved.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pirating Cane's thread: I wish I had taken a before photo at the apartment this morning. We got an early start and I swept, scraped where needed, and washed the wood floors. Then we left for a day outside working on the greenhouse.

Stopped back about 5:00 and applied a coat of stain over all the wood flooring. It really looks nice and the stain evens out the floor color. Gonna look good tomorrow when I put on the first coat of polyurethane.

I'm going to take pictures tomorrow for sure.

Now back to Cane's flooring dilemma.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/mobile-home-goddess.16253/

On page 10 is where the flooring starts. I ripped up carpet and laid wood floors. I didn't move cabinets or anything else. I cut in around them. Door clearance was not an issue. A thin plywood should not be a problem, I say go for it. Painted plywood sure would look better than dead carpet!

Latest posts