Painting the Wrap- a- round porch

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband had the choice between sanding and going to buy white trim paint. Of course he chose to do the errand. Brought home semi gloss pain. Doesn't everyone know you don't use semi gloss on an old house?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
" Doesn't everyone know you don;t use semi gloss on a old house " Cat I love you.
So, do you think I expected him to know too much? Well. I guess I do always buy the paint. But? Get white trim paint wrong? He came home for the 2nd time and said, "Will interior trim paint be OK?" He thinks he is very funny. I guess he wanted to see if I would lose it.He thought satin was shinier than semi gloss. Of course he forgot his phone to call me and ask. They will tell you anything that you don't know in a paint store. We were supposed to sand the trim together. He went to our little boys soccer games....went to get paint...and then he went to get the paint again...At least he just went to get take-out for dinner. I always think a job will take an hour or two. Sanded the trim and floor till dark.
One thing I learned today. You can reverse a shop vac to use as a blower. I had vacuumed up the paint scrapings. But the dust from lightly sanding the floor was going to be tough to sweep or vacuum. So I blew it away. So much faster and more efficient.

I want to get it all done tomorrow. The trees across the road by the river are very red. I want to photograph the completed porch with the trees in the view in front of it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great! I hate painting. Last week I painted some 1x2's for a trellis. I was so proud of myself and thought I had done a fantastic job! Then my husband sees it and said I had done a lousy job. Guess my painting days are over and guess who get's to do all the painting? Serves him right, haha.

Mary

The same happens here. The front porch is 3 years past needing paint. I did it once only to be criticed on every step. (He is the professional Union Painter right) Not sanded well enough 1st, missed a spot there. Runs here. Took me about 3 full days. When he could have done it in 1/2 a day! So I am leaving it for him....HA! It has waited this long it can wait for his retirement next October.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband had the choice between sanding and going to buy white trim paint. Of course he chose to do the errand. Brought home semi gloss pain. Doesn't everyone know you don't use semi gloss on an old house?

Never heard that one before! Why in the world would anyone use flat paint when they can use semi-gloss? I've always wondered that....flat or matte paints are so difficult to clean.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never heard that one before! Why in the world would anyone use flat paint when they can use semi-gloss? I've always wondered that....flat or matte paints are so difficult to clean.
I used Satin.
In an old house semi shows ever flaw. Satin hides the flaws. You are right about the cleaning.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The same happens here. The front porch is 3 years past needing paint. I did it once only to be criticed on every step. (He is the professional Union Painter right) Not sanded well enough 1st, missed a spot there. Runs here. Took me about 3 full days. When he could have done it in 1/2 a day! So I am leaving it for him....HA! It has waited this long it can wait for his retirement next October.
Wait....he's a professional painter and you did it? When I cannot motivate my husband to fix something I tell him he's got a week to do it, or I will do the best I can. I can do a lot of things but, they are many thinks he can do very well. We had birds coming into my guest room, only to discover the pipe from the wood stove had rusted through in the fire place. We had not used it in years. So I went on and on and threatened to do it myself. He went straight out and bought the pipes and fixed it.Anther job I thought was a 2 hour job...2 struggling days.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it done @catjac1975
So again I approached my painting day with my 2 hour plan to paint the deck of the porch. All prep work done yesterday. Some white trim painting first and then the deck.....My husband built news hand rails for the front steps.(Told him someone was going to sue us when the rail gave way.)I started with the most annoying part first, all cutting in by the house and painting the front edge behind the plantings. At dark, the rolling of the rest still not done. Now that has to just take 2 hours with the worst part done!