Pass the scalpel please Igor

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, as requested.

The olives are still under domes and on a heating mat because the roots are still forming. I expect them to be ready in about ten more days, as I can see the tips of the cuttings beginning to grow again. Finally!! I am trying a new method of propagating them with a nice feature: they are in the media and pots I will grow them in, no transplanting.

The small Bougainvillea are inside tonight as the temperature in the greenhouse will be too low for them, but perfect for olives.

I have a long long way to go with the tissue cultures yet. The seeds are no problem and are always slow. The nodes I have never tried before, but they are forming callus, so they may do something. If they do I'll post it here.

jackb

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Jackb. I bought the Trust tomato seed that you recommended. I found them 5 seeds @ $5.00 from Reimer seeds. You had said they were expensive so I thought it was pretty good. Then sent me 7 seeds but only one seed germinated. I am done letting little things go like a bad pack of seed here and there. I wrote and complained and i had to fill out a survey as to how I grew the seed. They did refund may money after a long note on how best to grow tomato seed next time. Not letting it go, I wrote a long note on how I was a master gardener and had no trouble growing tomato for the lats 40 or so years, and politely told them sent me bad seed. I also noticed that other seed that I bought from them last year, pumpkins and such had had a bad germination rate also. If they had not annoyed me with there refund process I would not have noticed where the other poor seed had come from. Any way the one seed is growing beautifully and is in fact in bloom in the greenhouse. I am hoping to have some very early greenhouse tomatoes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
tomato blossoms.jpg
Here is the Trust tomato plant. It is about 2 feet tall with high hopes for an early tomato.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Jackb. I bought the Trust tomato seed that you recommended. I found them 5 seeds @ $5.00 from Reimer seeds. You had said they were expensive so I thought it was pretty good. Then sent me 7 seeds but only one seed germinated. I am done letting little things go like a bad pack of seed here and there. I wrote and complained and i had to fill out a survey as to how I grew the seed. They did refund may money after a long note on how best to grow tomato seed next time. Not letting it go, I wrote a long note on how I was a master gardener and had no trouble growing tomato for the lats 40 or so years, and politely told them sent me bad seed. I also noticed that other seed that I bought from them last year, pumpkins and such had had a bad germination rate also. If they had not annoyed me with there refund process I would not have noticed where the other poor seed had come from. Any way the one seed is growing beautifully and is in fact in bloom in the greenhouse. I am hoping to have some very early greenhouse tomatoes.

Cat,
Like my granny used to say: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I only purchased from Tomato Growers Supply and did not have germination problems with their seeds. The plant is looking great!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
Are you going to root some of the suckers and plant them in the garden or greenhouse?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
Are you going to root some of the suckers and plant them in the garden or greenhouse?
I was thinking of doing that. Do you save your seed? Or buy new every year? I Have 20 or so varieties to go outsidetham are just a few inches tall. So I don't need more, but I had wanted around 3 plants to keep in the tunnel green house for early and then extended tomatoes.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
The Trust is a hybrid so it will not come true. I save the Tropics, another good greenhouse variety. They are available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and you get A LOT OF SEEDS FROM THEM. I always rooted the Trust suckers for later crops. I can see a good candidate in the photo you posted. I used to clone and replant the Trusts in July to have tomatoes for Thanksgiving.

I guess the last time I planted them was in 2016.

trust babies.jpg

Here is a greenhouse grown tropic so you can get an idea of what they are like. Notice the thin skin, not like the store bought greenhouse tomatoes at all.

share.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

That made me laugh. The nerve of them, giving you lessons on growing tomatoes, like it was all your fault. You sure did politely tell them off. :lol:

Latest posts