Pass the scalpel please Igor

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall,
I think I found a way to use meristem tissue by surface sterilizing with H2O2 rather than bleach. I ditched the first batch and used the H2O2 and they really look good. Adding food coloring to the gels lets me perform several trials at the same time. Also, I was watching a video on TC and the guy said he was going to release a kit for germinating and rejuvenating really old old seeds. Like grandma's 20 year old tomato seeds found in a tackle box. As he went through the process, I realized I thought I knew what his "secret" ingredient was. I had a seed from my "infamous" olive tree" that I have been hording, so I am trying that. Using a Dremil I removed the embryo from the drupe, processed it as the guy in the video, used his secret ingredient and planted the seed in sterile coir. That seed, along with some rare Greek olive seeds, are in the glass containers with aluminum caps. The vial forth from the left has a clone of Giant Redwood that is growing like crazy. That said, I have no idea of what I am going to do with hundreds of Giant Redwoods in New York. Science marches on.

jackb

p.s. Another expert just sent an email saying to remove the leaves and leave 1/4" of the petiole stub. I'll try that also tomorrow.
Jack-
I use coir to start my daylily seeds. Since changing to coir my germination improved by I bet 90%. The problem I do have with it is that fungus fly gnats seem to thrive in it, though the claim is that they should not. I have used many products to combat them and finally have found and organic product that is controlling them. It is from Gardens Alive. http://www.gardensalive.com/house-guardian-insect-spray/p/3155/
It kills the flying form of the gnats on contact. They are not what hurts the plants, it is the larvae that eats the roots. However,it eventually eliminates them by killing them before they lay eggs.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been using coir for years for hydroponics because it is sterile, in that it has no nutrients. The only nutrients that the plants receive are the nutrients that I want to give them. The thing about fungus gnats is they thrive if the surface is damp, if it is dry they tend to go away. You could avoid them by bottom watering, if appropriate. If that fails, there is a Biological Larvicide, Gnatrol. It is used by professional growers and greenhouses. It paralyzes the larvae so that they can not move to feed. Your problem is solved in a few days, as the life cycle of the adults is short. Gnatrol is expensive, however, there is a person in Arizona who sells it in small quantities on eBay for about six dollars, delivered. You only need a quarter teaspoon per gallon of water, so for six bucks you can get about a year's supply. It is the best control you can find. The problem I see with what you are doing is that if you allow the surface to be moist you keep attracting adults to lay eggs, and the problem is ongoing. Here is a link for more information. Marshall probably knows more about it than I do. Good luck.
jackb

http://www.valent.com/professional/products/gnatrol/

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to use the biological next year. I had used diatomaceous earth as a prevention. I contacted the company that sells the biologicals and they said the DE might distroy them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just want to point out that your insect spray is organic, Cat'.

I do wander about the Gardens Alive marketing staff, however. Twice they spelled it Pyrothrin on that webpage when the product label they link to has the correct spelling of Pyrethrin.

When I talked to the guy at the garden center about fungus gnats he said just use a little of the "mosquito dunks" for outdoor ponds - it is the same Bt bug killer. I believe that is true but the yellow sticky traps have done yeoman service again this winter in catching any fungus gnat that came in from outdoors with the houseplants.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used everything. Gardens Alive used to sell Knock out Gnats in liquid form which was great. Now they sell it in granular form and it does not work. I have written to them and the manufacturer with no reply. I have noticed the misspellings and I do worry about that. I have noticed they sell much fewer products and I do not know what that is about. I don't know how the dunks would work. I guess you would soak them in your watering can.I have used BT. Knock out Gnats was the best before they changed it. I think the new best is this spray I mentioned. Kill before they lay the damaging larvae.

What I want to know is where they come from. I started with a disinfected empty,greenhouse. I treated my houseplants with a soak before bringing them in. And they I saw ONE gnat. And thus it began. Right now it is under control.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I began this process like the skeptic I am, however, now I have become a believer. The photo below shows a single node from a jasmine placed in culture on January 9, 2017. The node is now putting out several shoots of new plants, only eight days later. In one of the vials there is a section of Taggiasca olive that has begun to grow in three days! Using conventional cloning methods I have tried for six months to get growth from olive cuttings.

This morning I found this on Wikipedia concerning the uses of plant tissue culture:

• The production of exact copies of plants that produce particularly good flowers, fruits, or have other desirable traits.
  • To quickly produce mature plants.
  • The production of multiples of plants in the absence of seeds or necessary pollinators to produce seeds.
  • The regeneration of whole plants from plant cells that have been genetically modified.
  • The production of plants in sterile containers that allows them to be moved with greatly reduced chances of transmitting diseases, pests, and pathogens.
  • The production of plants from seeds that otherwise have very low chances of germinating and growing, i.e.: orchids and Nepenthes.
  • To clean particular plants of viral and other infections and to quickly multiply these plants as 'cleaned stock' for horticulture and agriculture.
jackb

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too cool!!! I'm afraid to retire....I'll be busy with all sorts of new projects then! :lol:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red,
I have someone like you to thank for getting me into this. A kit was for sale on eBay and I bid low and did not win. The person who won the kit was like you and changed their mind thinking: this is not for me! The seller offered me the kit for what I bid, so I snapped it up for something to pass the time in the winter. I am glad I did, as I find it fascinating.
jackb

Latest posts