Pass the scalpel please Igor

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall is probably in mourning as I read that some dude claims he shot Bigfoot.
jackb

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That said, I still have no idea of what I am ever going to do with all of these redwood trees here in New York.
Jackb
Send 'em here, I'd love to grow a few. :) As long as they are babied the first year or two, they can grow very well in NC.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of offering them on eBay as pre-bonsai. The buyers will be in for a BIG surprise.
jackb

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could do this.

bon_seq.jpg
World's Largest Tree

Up to 325 feet in height. Ironically, the world's largest (most massive) tree makes a wonderful bonsai (not for beginners). Germination rate is typically less than 40%, which is normal and to be expected for the species. Seeds should be refrigerated.

Zone 6-9

Coast Redwood
SE-04b.jpg
World's Tallest Tree

California's magnificent Coast Redwood is the world's tallest known tree and one of the world's oldest trees. Some trees have been measured at more than 360 feet (see height comparison). These giant evergreens inhabit a narrow strip along the Pacific Ocean from central California to southern Oregon. The Coast Redwood has excellent ornamental value, as specimen or feature tree or planted in groups. They are fast growers, up to 2 feet per year, and make excellent windbreaks and privacy screens while still young (their fast growth is an added advantage). Their beautiful foliage and bark is a perfect backdrop for smaller shrubs with similar growing conditions. They do not require trimming as a rule, and their drought resistance make them fairly maintenance free once established.

Zone 6-9

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did attempt to bonsai one once long ago, my bonsai guru thought I was insane. Unfortunately I was just a novice and over watered the tree. I may give it another shot.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 78 of the Coast Redwoods on 2 acres around our ranch house in the central valley in Ca. . They are now 10 years old and about 20' to 30' tall .

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The gardenia is still multiplying like crazy and I am going to let it go for another month and then separate and root some. I like this process so much I have set up a permanent place in the basement for micro-propagation so I don't have to use my wife's kitchen anymore.
jackb