Pass the scalpel please Igor

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Still looking fir the mind blown smiley......this is absolutely fascinating

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is amazing. What I especially get a kick out of is how it's mason jars & homemade lids containing some fascinating science! :clap

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always wanted to try Gerbera Daisies, but the seeds are so expensive and germination is said to be erratic. Park Seeds wants $8.95 for ten seeds and that does not include shipping. My wife has a plant on the front porch so I snipped a leaf off, cut it into six sections and put them in a tissue culture protocol. Now, all I have to do is wait and see what happens, and, I have no idea of whether this will work or not, but it should be interesting.
jackb

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love what you are doing. It is so interesting to read about your experiments with bits of plant matter and watch them grow. While the rest of us play in the dirt, you do some amazing things.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How cool! :pop Do you have an educated guess as to how long it will take before you know if it's working?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reason I got into this was to clone olives, as they are very difficult to clone without misting equipment. Timing of the season and condition of the donor plant are also factors in traditional cloning. The big growers have experienced professionals who tissue culture olives, and they don't share their procedures. It has taken me five months but I finally have developed my own protocol that works. The plant in the photo is a Tosca olive that has only been in culture for a month. It is has new growth above, and, a callus forming on the cut end of the base and roots growing from the callus. In other words, success! So, now in total, I have a dozen clones of six different varieties all responding to culture. And, you would need to look long and hard to find where I took the tiny plant section to start the new plants. Fascinating process to say the least.
jackb