Paste tomatoes

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what is your favorite and why? For me San Marzano. Indeterminate and has flavor. Haven't found another one that fits those 2 qualities.
Philippine tomatoes are great as well. It's very versatile. you can eat it raw as a side dish, Its good for spaghetti as well. and sautee's

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what is your favorite and why? For me San Marzano. Indeterminate and has flavor. Haven't found another one that fits those 2 qualities.
For a rich, balanced taste try Bonnie Original, Big Beef, Red Beefsteak heirloom, Better Boy, the favorite flavor of Cherokee Purple, and any All America Winner. Sweet or low-acid tomatoes include Lemon Boy, Mr. Stripey heirloom, Bush Goliath, and Black Prince heirloom tomatoes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Better Boy is my “go to” tomato. Great flavor, hardy plant, bears really well, great tomato size.

I avoid all black colored as no one will eat them.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tomatoes are mild seasonal plants that die back in the cold. There was a mistake. However, indoor tomatoes may be grown, but they are typically smaller than their summer cousins and produce less prolifically. Select appropriate varieties when growing tomatoes indoors and learn tips for indoor tomatoes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Better Boy is my “go to” tomato. Great flavor, hardy plant, bears really well, great tomato size.

I avoid all black colored as no one will eat them.
DD picked up that seed packet so I went with it. I know that hybrids are better producers than heirloom. @seedcorn, do you think that they are better than say, Mortgage Lifter (I tried, they were so so and not big) and Brandywine (haven't tried them yet.)? I have heard both of these praised a lot.
When I used to buy plants I bought Big Boy or, they used to sell Best Boy, if I recall.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am starting heirloom, too. I might also plant the the Big Rainbow Heirloom, too. They aren't as sweet, but I like canning them with Romas for cooking bc they are so big, and DH and I like using that combination to soften beans for chili, instead of just water.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD picked up that seed packet so I went with it. I know that hybrids are better producers than heirloom. @seedcorn, do you think that they are better than say, Mortgage Lifter (I tried, they were so so and not big) and Brandywine (haven't tried them yet.)? I have heard both of these praised a lot.
When I used to buy plants I bought Big Boy or, they used to sell Best Boy, if I recall.
No comparison to Mortgage Lifter but in general all heirlooms have a problem surviving and producing in my sand/gravel. I use to split between Better Boys and Big Boys. IMO, Big Boys were larger tomatoes but always thought Better Boys were more consistent and large enough so size not an issue. I don’t like any of the Beefsteak varieties as they tend to segment as well plus the huge sunken attachment to stem or green shoulders.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know. I don't KNOW how I had a tomato harvest in 2019. Some locals got nothin, so I don't want to waste my time with mediocre fruit.
Btw, I harvested 3 ten gallon plastic (painter type) buckets of green tomatoes before the first freeze. I got 16 quarts, 1/2 of my tomato canning just from that late harvest, it was that bad of a year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up about 50 miles NE from where you live. Grew up on gumbo with high clay content. We had good drainage so things did excellent. Every garden I’ve had since moving from home has been sand. Recognize your current challenges. Love to have some of that Illinois gumbo in exchange for my sand.

Latest posts